The three houses (35 Washington St., and two behind it on Cottage St.) are nearly Identical single-story dwellings designed in the Second Empire style. Rising from brick foundations, the L-shaped houses are clad with wood shingles and enclosed by slate covered mansard roofs from which project gable dormers. The house at 35 Washington Street has original molded window trim, bracketed door hood, narrow corner boards, and a box cornice with wide frieze. Fenestration is asymmetrical on these houses, with most window openings containing 2/2 sash.
These three identical houses were built between 1884 and 1902 for Charles E. and John A. Brown, who operated a brick manufactory and lumber yard and were involved in speculative development on Brown and Liberty Streets. By 1916 this house was occupied by Charles H. & Margaret J. Bell
Atlases of Essex County, Massachusetts (1872 & 1884).
- Sanborn Insurance Atlases ( 1887, 1892, 1897, 1902, 1907, 1916, 1929, 1945) Walker, Lithograph & Publishing Company. Atlas of Essex County (1910).