Austin Measures built the Measures Building at 38 Central Street sometime after the Central Street fire of 1894. Measures’ Candy Shop was a long-lasting institution tat was begun by William Willcomb in a small building on North Main Street. Measures was the next owner, and the building was taken down in 1904 to construct the Colonial Building. He reopened in this Central Street location.
The two buildings on the left in the photo below were taken down to erect the Colonial Building, but the rest of the streetscape remains the same. The third building from the left is the Agawam House, still standing but almost unrecognizable.