*Note: While it has been traditionally known as the Ringe house, Thomas Franklin Waters wrote that the old Ringe house was removed to the vicinity of Mineral and Central Street, and that the present house was built by Abner Harris. Deeds and maps are provided below. The 1742 Daniel Ringe house that was moved is probably the 16 Mineral Street, the Wise Saddle Shop.
Thomas Franklin Waters wrote that on this lot was owned by Edward Eveleth, who married in 1702 Elizabeth Perkins, daughter of Abraham Perkins, whose house was nearby at 37 High St. She died early, leaving a son Joseph and a daughter Elisabeth. In 1733 Eveleth married second, Elizabeth Eppes, daughter of Edward Eveleth married January, 1704, Elisabeth, daughter of Abraham Perkins. She died early, leaving a son Joseph and a daughter Elisabeth. Their home was on the lot that is now 42 High St. He married second, Elisabeth, daughter of Major Symonds Epes in 1733, and Epes sold Eveleth his homestead on N. Main St., which included eight acres and was bounded by Saddler Rogers’s land, and Col. Jo. Appleton’s, Dec. 5, 1715 (29:273).
The first recorded deed of a house on this location appeared in 1742, when John Holland sold the property and “ye House as is now finished standing there” to Daniel Ringe, a veteran of the French and Indian Wars (84:201) for “35 pounds lawful money” bordering on William Caldwell, Joseph Fowler and Phillip Fowler. Daniel Ringe sold the northwest corner to his son, October 19, 1793.
The widow Ringe gave a homestead to her son, and daughter, Anna wife of Elisha Newman. Nathaniel Caldwell married the daughter of Elisha Newman, who became heir of half the house, and bought the interest of the widow Sarah Baker Ringe, who lived in the old 1742 Holland house.
Daniel Goodhue and his wife Hannah sold a small plot, abutting on Elisha Newman’s heirs on the Ringe estate, to Abner Harris, May 1, 1800 (182: 255) for $130.00, bordering on the land of Newman, Rindge and Goodhue.
Abner Harris built a house which was purchased after his death, intestate, by John Hodgkins Jr. June 5, 1846 for $1000 “he being the highest bidder.” (370: 89), the auction having sought $2100.00 to settle the debts of Abner Harris. The property is described as 1/8 acre with a dwelling house, bounded southeasterly by the land of Joseph M. Caldwell, southwesterly by land of Moses Goodhue, and northeasterly by the street, “being the late dwelling house and homestead of the said Abner Harris, deceased.”
In 1886, Mary Baker, wife of John Baker, purchased the same property from Carolyn Hodgkins, widow of John Hodgkins; “southeasterly by land of Joseph Caldwell, southwesterly and northwesterly by land of Kate G. Titcomb, and northeasterly by high street, being the same premises conveyed to my late husband by John Hodgkins Jr. by Charles Kimball, administrator of the estate of Abner Harris deceased.” (1186; 299). The 1910 Ipswich map shows J. H. Baker at 42 High St.
Thomas Franklin Waters wrote in Volume I, Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony: “ Two acres here were owned originally by Richard Bidgood then by Robert Paine and John Whipple. They sold a house and land to Mr . Norton and he sold to William English of Boston shoemaker Dec 9 1653 (Ips Deeds 5, 41)
Bonest Norton sold to Thomas Lull, the house and land given him by his father, Wm. Norton, deceased, April 9, 1695. Lull conveyed it to John Holland, May 22, 1708 (23: 9). John Holland, son of John, sold the east half of the estate of his father, abutting on Caldwell, to Daniel Ringe, ‘and ye house as it is now finished standing there,’ Nov. 6, 1742 (84: 201).
John Holland and George Newman, the executors of the will of their mother Elizabeth, sold Ringe the other half of the property, with a house, Jan. 31, 1743 (86: 31). The language of the deeds seems to imply that the house sold in 1742 was just completed at that time, while the other was the original homestead.
Daniel Ringe sold the northwest comer to his son John, beginning at the south corner of his land, where his shop stands (he was a chaise maker), Oct. 19, 1793 (168: 12). The widow Ringe gave a homestead to her son, and daughter, Anna, wife of Elisha Newman. It is said that they built the house still known as the Ringe house. Nathaniel Caldwell married the daughter of Elisha Newman.”
On page 362 Waters wrote that the old Ringe house was moved to Central Street.
“The widow Ringe who died about a century ago (Vital Records: Aug. 14, 1796) gave a homestead to her son and daughter Anna wife of Elisha Newman. It is said that they built the house still known as the Ringe house. Nathaniel Caldwell married the daughter of Elisha Newman who became heir of half the house and bought the interest of the widow Sarah Baker Ringe in the other half. His heirs still own. The old house occupied by the widow Ringe was purchased after her death by Capt. John Lord and was repaired extensively. It was bought by Mr. Joseph Caldwell who removed the old dwelling to the head of Central Street and built a new house on the site.”
Adjoining properties on this side of the street