52 Central Street, the Scahill house (c 1920)

52 Central Street

52 Central Street

This house doesn’t appear in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye map and doesn’t match the house shown in the 1910 Ipswich map. The date of construction is uncertain, but a building at this location was the barber shop owned by barber Thomas Scahill in the Directory of the Town of Ipswich, by H. C. Waite, 1896 and the Town Report of 1914, and part of the house remained in the Scahill family until 1958.

central_st_firemen_1948_Ipswich_museum

The Ipswich Museum provided this photo of firemen in front of the Ipswich Fire Station in 1948. 52 Central St. is on the left.

 

Further info: