The house at 53 Washington Street was built between 1872 and 1884. The earliest owner to be identified is George W. Smith who owned the house by 1884, and is listed in town directories as a flagman for the railroad. By 1910 the property was owned by Henry A. Pickard and occupied by Clarence, Ernest, and Henry A. Pickard. Ernest worked at one of the mills, while Henry was a carpenter. Packard owned the house as late as 1924.