The house at 59 Washington Street in Ipswich was built between 1884 and 1888 for Charles W. Bamford, who was at various times in his career, Town Clerk, Treasurer, and Justice of the Peace. Bamford owned the house as late as 1910. The elaborate cornices and multiple colors of paint define it as Italianate, with influences from the later Victorian era.
Robert Truman Bamford born at Ipswich in 1893 was the son of son of Chester W. and Lucy Stone Bamford. He listed in the US Navy in 1912 and served three years on the USS Georgia as electrician, participating in activities against submarines in foreign waters He lost a foot fighting a fire at the US Naval Station at New London He was later commissioned a junior grade lieutenant and later lieutenant senior grade
Robert Bamford lived on Washington St. until 1945. He served in the town as clerk of courts, chairman o the Board of Selectmen, and chairman of the Finance Committee. He is most remembered for his leading role in the 1956 passage of the town bylaw which mandates that any expenditure over $50,000 must be approved by ballot rather than town meeting votes.
Sources and further reading: