The house at 61 High Street was constructed in approximately 1870. Beers’ Atlas of Essex County, published in 1872, showed the cemetery abutted on the east by Timothy B. Ross, a teacher in the Ipswich schools. No house appears on the 1856 or earlier maps at this location.
Thomas Franklin Waters wrote that Timothy B. Ross was the teacher of the “principal school” in the North district, and taught the Middle District Grammar School many years. “As he was huge in size, and the aisles wer narrow, when he wished to make a rapid movement across the schoolroom he would mount the desks nd stride rough shod to the offender.”
Source: Thomas Franklin Waters, Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, Vol. 2, page 531