John was the son of William Lord and Sarah Chapman Lord, and married Annie M. Pingree. Their children, all born in Ipswich were:
- Alvah Webster Lord b 10-4-1865
- Walter L. Lord b 4-8-1869
- Hattie M. Lord Walton b 4-23-1873
- Lizzie Estelle Lord b 10-18-1881
- In July 1886, John W. Lord sold to Nathaniel Jewett a lot on Gravel St. (Liberty St.) with a house thereon, “being the same premises conveyed to me by Joseph Ross by his two deeds (1867) for $43 (book 851 page 238) and (book 01178, page 20). This appears to be of two similar houses shown side by side in the map.
- In 1894 the widow Annie Lord sold the house and lot to Jacob and Emily Edgerly (book 1434 page 229) They are shown as owners of the property in the 1910 Ipswich map.