This is a story-and-one-third cottage with elements of the Federal style. Federal features include the narrow doorway with plain frieze and cap, the narrow corner boards and lack of eave overhang. The Federal trim and substantial chimneys identify this house as perhaps the earliest of the many story-and-one-third 19th century cottages which survive in the Linebrook area.
The 1832 Ipswich map shows the owner as Daniel Haskell, (1778 – 1872) The inscription on his tombstone states that he died of “senile debility.” The house was then owned by Daniel Haskell Jr. The Massachusetts Annual Report of Various Public Officers and Institutions for the year 1864 lists him as an inmate at the Ipswich Receptacle for the Insane, age 56. He died two years later and his tombstone is at the Old North Burying Ground. Ipswich maps show that the house was owned in 1856 by Edward Haskell, the son of Daniel, Jr., housewright, and Hannah, born Sept. 22, 1846. In the 1910 map it was owned by Mrs. F.G. Ross and the site had acquired four barns.