The large house at 79 County Road sits out of view behind the old brick telephone building, abutting the far end of the Old South Cemetery. The house is believed to have been built in approximately 1820. Wide corner boards, a gently sloping roof and evenly spaced chimneys also suggest the Federal era construction period. This house was moved back on the lot when the Verizon telephone company building was constructed many years ago.
Thomas Franklin Waters wrote the following history of the house:
“Thomas Manning built his house on the lot, by the brook. He bequeathed to his son Richard (Pro. Rec. 322: 49, 1737). Capt. Richard divided his estate among his children by his will, April 22, 1774 (Pro. Rec. 350: 216). Jacob Manning sold to Dr. John Manning, the homestead, about an acre with the house, Nov. 16, 1804 (175: 119). The present house was built by Jacob Manning, it is understood. Thomas Beckford’s widow, Catherine sold to William Kinsman Jr., Oct. 11, 1865 (690: 279).”