The house at 94 Essex Road in Ipswich was built between 1884, when the land belonged to W. Kinsman, and 1910, when the W. G. Horton house appears in the 1910 Ipswich map. The old grain elevator at Tedford’s Lumber was once operated by William G. Horton Grain, Flower and Feed. Between it and the Burke Heel Factory was Canney Lumber, which was destroyed in the 1933 fire. The grain elevator was apparently unharmed.
Biography of William G. Horton
“To the rural interests in the vicinity of Ipswich, Massachusetts, the name of William G. Horton stands, in a business sense, for supplies of a high quality which meet the requirements of the agriculturist and stock grower. C.M. Jewett and Co preceded William G. Horton in using the building as a grain silo.
Mr. Horton was born in Ipswich on January 14, 1857, and is a son of Joseph and Lucy (Robinson) Horton. He received a thorough grounding in the essentials of education at the public schools of the town, then, when a very young lad, even before leaving school, worked as a helper around the farm. Continuing thus until seventeen years of age, he then branched out for himself in an independent business along the line of hay and grain. Beginning in a small way, he developed the business and broadened its scope until for years he has been one of the leaders in this field of mercantile endeavor, taking care of many of the needs of the farmer, including fertilizers and seeds, farming tools of various kinds and the supplies always in demand by poultrymen.
While interested in every phase of public progress, Mr. Horton takes an active part in few matters outside his business, but has for a number of years been a director of the Ipswich Savings Bank. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and attends the South Congregational Church. Mr. Horton married Caroline Burnham, daughter of Foster and Helen Burnham.”
The Horton Farm
Thomas Franklin Waters wrote that The “New Road,” so called, was laid out through the Joseph Horton farm in Candlewood to the Hamilton road in 1847. The Horton farm included a section of the original Argilla Farm established by John Winthrop Jr and Lieutenant Governor Samuel Symonds. “The present Horton farm was granted apparently to John Andrews, who sold to William Fellows in 1659, and it was owned by his heirs, and by Kinsmans and Boardmans, until purchased by Joseph Horton in 1846….It is a family remembrance that Joseph Horton made forty-five round trips with hay to Boston in a single year, bringing back groceries and supplies of every kind for the Ipswich shop keepers.”
“Mr. Joseph Increase Horton, a native of the Town, had taught the Linebrook school during the school year, beginning in October, 1876. In March, 1877, he was elected Principal of the Grammar School, and continued to hold the position until June, 1808, when ill health obliged him to resign. In the fall of 1916, he was elected Superintendent of Schools.”
- Benjamin F. Arrington. Municipal history of Essex County in Massachusetts (Volume 4) published 1922
- Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony by Thomas Franklin Waters