This house was constructed after the 1884 Ipswich map, and stick-style Victorian decorative features on this house suggest a late 19th Century construction. The house is shown in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye map with the stick features visible. The 1910 Ipswich map shows the owner as “Mrs. Newton.” Deeds shows that Mary Newton sold several pieces of property on Central Street.
This simple, vernacular house is one of the few examples of the stick style in Ipswich, similar in design to the George B. Brown house on Washington St., built between 1884 and 1893. In the final development of the style, the 3-dimensional details become more 2-dimensional. Both these houses exhibit the later tendency towards flat design. The hidden structural frame is expressed by vertical, horizontal, and diagonal boards applied to horizontal clapboards. Often the “sticks” were emphasized through contrasting paint. A bracketed porch completes the Stick Style ingredients.