The Lafayette Road neighborhood, including Farragut Rd, Prescott Rd, Putnam Rd. and Lafayette Rd. was built in the first decade of the 20th Century on farm land previously belonging to J. C. Underhill and other families along Topsfield Rd. The names of the neighborhood and streets seem to have been assigned by the developers of “Agawam Heights.”
These photos of the earlier Underhill house and new houses in Agawam Heights under construction are from glass plate negatives in the collection of William J. Barton, taken by Edward L. Darling circa 1910, along with photos of how the same houses appear today.