Alphabetical index of posts on the Historic Ipswich site

1 High Street, the Nathaniel Rogers Old Manse (1727)
1 Highland Avenue, the Wainwright School (1890)
1 Lords Square, Payne School (1802)
1 Manning Street, the E.H. Martin house (1880)
1 Meeting House Green, the First Congregational Church (1971)
1 Old England Road, Moritz B. Philipp and Jane Peterson estate (1885)
1 Poplar Street, the Lathrop house (1912)
1 Scotton’s Lane, the Choate-Scotton house (c 1863)
1 South Green, the Captain John Whipple House (1677 / 1725)
1 Turkey Shore Road, the Burnham-Patch-Day house c1670-1730
10 Argilla Rd., Harry Joyce house (c 1885)
10 Blaisdell Terrace (c 1900)
10 Brown Square, Tedfords Lumber (1933)
10 Brown Street, Essex Hosiery Company worker housing (c 1900)
10 County Street, the Dennis – Dodge House (1740)
10 East Street, the Nathaniel Harris house (1819)
10 Hammatt St., the old South Church Vestry (1857)
10 Liberty St., the Brown house (c 1900)
10 Manning Street, the G. Haskell house (circa 1890)
10 Mineral Street, the W. Smith house (c 1860)
10 Riverbank Lane, the John W. Newman house (c 1880)
10 Summer Street, the Charles and Abigail Cotton / Moses Harris House (1838)
10 Washington St., the Mary Holmes – Captain John Lord house (b. 1770)
10 Woods Lane, the Edward and Eliza Plouff house (1837)
100 High Street, the Joseph Fowler house (1720 – 1756)
101 Central Street, Newton house (c 1900)
102 County Road, the Rowell-Homans house (c 1865)
103 High Street, the William Merchant house (1670)
104 Essex Rd., the Joseph and Abigail Marshall farm (1869)
104 High Street, the John Kimball house (1715)
106 Argilla Road, the Octavia Hamlin house (1784)
106 High St. the Caleb Kimball house (1715)
107 Argilla Road, Argilla Farm (c. 1805)
107 Central Street, the Collins house (c 1880)
108 Central Street, the George W. Baker house (1872)
108 High St., the Dow-Harris house (1735)
109 Central Street, Daniel and Mary Collins house (1873)
11 Argilla Rd. (c. 1900)
11 County Street, the Bennett – Caldwell house (1725)
11 Depot Square, Russell’s Lunch (circa 1900)
11 Liberty Street, the Levi Howe house (c 1870)
11 Poplar Street, the George H. Green house, (c. 1890)
11 South Village Green, the Gables (1838), David Baker
11 Summer Street, the Nathaniel Hovey house (1718)
11 Topsfield Road, the Jacob and William G. Brown house (b 1832)
11 Waldingfield Road, Applefield, the Oliver Appleton Farm (1759 and earlier)
11 Warren Street, the Old Warren Fire House and School (1884)
11 Woods Lane, the Merrifield house (1792)
110 Central Street, the Samuel Baker house (before 1884)
110 High Street, the John Kimball Jr. house (1730)
111 Central Street, the Albert and Annie Garland house (1894)
112 High Street, Timothy Ross house, 1840
114 High Street, the Tibbets-Fowler house (1860)
114 Topsfield Road, the Goodhue – Adams house (1763)
115 High Street, the Baker – Sutton house (1725)
116 High Street, the Samuel Rutherford house (1860)
117 County Road, the Hellenic Center (1904)
117 High Street, Brown’s Manor (1886)
118 High Street, the Aaron Rutherford house (1860)
12 Argilla Road, the Norman J. Bolles house (c 1900)
12 Brown St. (c 1890)
12 Green Street, the Andrew Burley house (1688)
12 High Street, the William Russell House (1890)
12 Liberty St., Charles Brown house (c 1890)
12 Manning Street, the Edward T. Pike house (1885)
12 Market Street, the Abraham Wait house (1832)
12 Meeting House Green, the First Church Vestry (1832)
12 North Main Street, Treadwell’s Inn (1737)
12 Summer Street, the Ezra W. Lord house (1848)
12 Warren Street, the Louisa Wells house (c1700)
12 Washington Street, the Patrick Riley house (1880)
12 Water Street, the Glazier – Sweet house (1728)
12 Woods Lane, Grant’s Barn (1865)
12 Woods Lane, the Joshua B. Grant house (before 1878)
124 High Street, the Joseph King house (1856)
126 County Road, Benjamin Stickney Cable Memorial Hospital (1916-1987)
126 High Street, Burnham’s Antiques (c 1920)
13 Argilla Road, Thomas and Elizabeth Brown house (c 1844)
13 East St., Ignatius Dodge Shoe Manufacturing (b.1856)
13 High Street, the Joseph Willcomb house (1669-1693)
13 Liberty St., the Roberts house (c 1900)
13 Manning St., the Fields house, (c. 1900)
13 Mount Pleasant Avenue, the Mary Nugent house (1874)
13 Spring Street, the George V. Millett house (1886)
13 Summer Street, the Daniel Clark house (1872)
130 Topsfield Road, the Robert Wallis house (1703)
136 County Rd., the Francis Henry Richardson house (1902)
14 Argilla Rd. (c. 1920)
14 Brown St., Mitchell-Ralph house (c 1890)
14 Candlewood Road, the Joseph Brown and Elizabeth Perkins house (1779)
14 East Street, the Baker – Newman house (1725)
14 High Street, the George Lord house (1857)
14 Liberty Street, the George B. Brown house (1898)
14 Manning Street (c 1915)
14 Mineral Street (c 1915)
14 Summer St., the Isaiah Rogers house (c 1870)
15 Argilla Road, the George and Mabelle Dexter house (1893)
15 County Street, the Rev. Levi Frisbie house (1788)
15 East Street: Dawson’s Bakery; James and Louise Glover house (c 1870)
15 Elm Street, the Old Town Hall Annex (c 1920)
15 Liberty St. (c 1870)
15 Manning Street (c 1920)
15 South Main Street, the Caldwell Block (1870)
15 Summer Street, the Jonathan Pulcifer house (1718)
153 Argilla Road, the Isaac Goodale house (1669)
155 Argilla Road, the Holman-Ilsley house, c 1790 (moved here in 1951)
16 Brown St., the Leno house (1890)
16 County Street, the Abraham Knowlton house (1726)
16 East Street, the Lakeman-Johnson house (c 1840)
16 Elm Street, the Baker – Tozer house (1835)
16 Elm Street, Within These Walls
16 Fellows Road, the Ruth Fellows house (1714, altered beyond recognition)
16 High Street, the Jacob Manning house (1818)
16 Liberty St., the Martha Curtis house (1885)
16 Manning St. (c 1900)
16 Maple Avenue, the William H. Bodwell house, 1890
16 Mineral Street, Wise Saddle Shop (c.1742 /1801)
16 North Main Street, the Stephen Coburn house (1845)
16 Summer Street, the Treadwell house (1852)
16 Topsfield Road, the Joseph Peatfield house and nursery (1877)
16 Washington Street, the Patrick Riley house (c 1865)
1639: The pigs have liberty
164 Argilla Rd. the Francis Cogswell homestead, 1743
166 Argilla Rd. (1913)
166 Linebrook Road, the William Lummus house (before 1832)
168 Argilla Road, the Tilton-Smith house (c 1720)
17 Argilla Road, the Samuel Wade – S. F. Canney house (1845)
17 County Street, Perkins and Daniels Shoe Factory (1843)
17 High Street, the Thomas Lord house (after 1658)
17 Liberty St., the Blaisdell house (c 1870)
17 Manning Street, the Candlewood School (1856) (moved to this location)
17 Mineral St., the Baxter-Adamowicz house, c 1885
17 Spring Street, the David Dow house, 1857
17 Summer St., the William and Margaret Chapman house (after 1832)
17 Turkey Shore Road, the John Edward Norman house (1895)
173 Argilla Rd. (c. 1920)
173 Linebrook Road, the Kozeneski farm (c 1900, demolished 2019)
175 County Road, the William Manning house (1820)
176 Argilla Rd., Thatchbanks (1912)
178 Argilla Road, the Stephen Smith house (1742)
1788 Massachusetts Act banning any African or Negro
1793 and 1818: the Burden of the Poor divides Ipswich into 3 towns, Ipswich, Hamilton and Essex
17th Century houses in Ipswich, Massachusetts
18 East Street, the Baker-Dodge house (1727)
18 Green Street, the Isaac Stanwood Jr. house (1812)
18 Hammatt Street, the Ipswich gas generator building (1877-2018)
18 Liberty St. (1885)
18 North Main Street, the Charles Kimball house (1834)
18 Washington Street, Sanford Peatfield House (1860)
1816, the year without summer
1854: Anti-immigrant Know Nothing Party sweeps Massachusetts elections
187 Argilla Rd. (1907)
188 Argilla Road, the Oliver Cogswell house, 1815
1893 Birdseye map of Ipswich
1894: the Year that Ipswich Burned
18th Century houses in Ipswich, Massachusetts
19 Brown Square (1903)
19 High Street, the John Blake house (1885)
19 Mineral Street (1856)
19 North Main Street, Thomas & Margaret Heard Manning house (1799)
19 Putnam Rd., the Lezon home (c 1910)
19 Summer Street, the Solomon Lakeman house (before 1745)
1910 Ipswich census and maps
197 County Rd.,Applegate (1875)
19th Century houses in Ipswich, Massachusetts
19th Century: Religion divided the town
1st, 2nd & 3rd period houses in Ipswich
1st, 2nd and 3rd Period Houses in Ipswich Massachusetts
2 Brewery Place (Brown Square) Ipswich Ale Brewery (c 1900)
2 Central Street, the Tyler Building (1906)
2 East Street, the Robert Jordan house (1863)
2 Green Street, the John Perkins house (1860)
2 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Merrill-Kimball house (1839)
2 Labor in Vain Road, the McMahon house (b 1856)
2 Meeting House Green, the Joseph N. Farley house (1842)
2 Mill Road, the Sullivan house (c 1890)
2 North Main Street, the John Appleton house (1707)
2 Old England Road, the Captain Jabez Treadwell house (1748)
2 Poplar Street, Swasey Tavern (1718)
2 Putnam Rd.
2 Turkey Shore, the Heard – Lakeman House (1776)
20 Manning Street (1902)
20 Market Street, the Stacey-Ross house (1734)
20 Mineral Street, the Lucy Ackerman house (c 1870)
2017 Mary Conley Award
2023 Ipswich Visitor Center volunteer calendar
203 Argilla Rd., the William Shurcliff house (1963)
207 Argilla Rd., the Sidney Shurcliff house (1935)
208 Argilla Road (1917) the Barney-Smith house
208 Topsfield Road, the Joseph and Judah Goodhue house (1767)
20th Century houses and buildings in Ipswich, Massachusetts
21 East Street, the George Russell house (c 1870)
21 High Street, the Haskell – Lord house (c 1750)
21 Lakemans Lane, the John Manning Farm (c 1825)
21 Manning Street
21 North Main Street, the Theodore Cogswell house (1880)
21 Spring Street, the G. F. Swain summer estate (b 1910)
211 Argilla Rd., the Mary Ann Archer Lord house (1902)
217 Argilla Road, the Townsend house (1902)
219 County Rd., Samuel Appleton Old House (1794)
22 East Street, the Moses Fellows House (1873)
22 Elm St. (c. 1840)
22 Mineral Street, the Warner-Harris House (c. 1696, alt. 1835)
22 North Main Street, the Colonial Building (1904)
23 East Street (c 1860)
23 Manning Street (1934)
23 Mineral Street, the Lydia and Joseph Lord house (1871)
232 Argilla Road, the Patch-Brown-Crockett house (c 1760-85)
24 Fellows Rd. (c 1856 & later)
24 High Street, the J.W. Gould House (b 1850)
24 Manning Street, the A. P. Hills house (c. 1900)
24 Market Street, the Aaron Jewett house (c 1800)
24 Summer Street, the William E. Barton house (1884)
24 Topsfield Road, the Moses Kimball house (1688)
240 County Road, the Proctor Estate, New England Biolabs (1895)
246 High St., Ipswich Clam Box, (1935)
248 High Street, the William Spiller house (c 1838)
25 County Street, the J. Caldwell house (c 1860)
25 East St, the Stanwood-Willcomb house (1830)
25 Green Street, the Ipswich Town Hall (1935)
25 Market Street, the Nathaniel R. Farley Shoe Factory (1830-56)
25 North Main Street, the Ipswich Public Library
251 Topsfield Road, Turner Hill (1900)
26 County Street, the John M. Dunnels house (1867)
26 East Street, the Staniford – Polly Dole -John Updike house (1687-1720)
26 High Street, the Philip Call house (1659, with additions)
26 Manning Street, the Sullivan house (1927)
26 Mineral Street (c 1870)
26 North Main Street, the Agawam House (1806)
27 Argilla Rd. (1928)
27 East Street, the Widow Elizabeth Caldwell house (1740-1755)
27 High Street, the Edward Browne House (c 1650-1750)
27 Lakeman’s Lane, the Benjamin Fellows house (c. 1719)
27 Market Street, the Ipswich Post Office (1939)
27 Northgate Road, the Asa Stone Barn (1839)
27 Summer Street, the Thomas Knowlton house (1688)
28 County St., the Asa Stone -Theodore Wendel house (1872)
28 Mineral Street (c 1880)
28 Topsfield Road, Sacred Heart Church (1903)
28 Water Street, the Harris – Stanwood House (1696)
280 Argilla Road, the Inn at Castle Hill (1860)
280 High Street, the Charles and Fostina Guilford house (1880)
285 High Street, the Daniel Nourse house (1809)
29 High Street, the Daniel Brown Smith house (1819)
29 Labor in Vain Rd., the Isaac Foss house (c 1900)
29 North Main Street, the Odd Fellows Building (1817)
29 Woods Lane, A.L.R. Mahoney house (c 1900)
290 High Street, the Jacob Pickard house, (1812)
290 Linebrook Rd. the Chapman-Small House
296 High Street, the Oliver Bailey house (1831)
297 Linebrook Road, the Joseph Chapman house (1720)
3 Argilla Rd. (c. 1900)
3 Candlewood Rd., the Brown-Whipple house (1812)
3 County Street, the William Treadwell house (1850)
3 East Street, the James W. Perkins house and Provisions (1860)
3 High Street, the John Gaines house (1725)
3 Hovey Street, the John Kendrick house
3 Liberty St., the Foster house (c 1880)
3 Loney’s Lane, the Aaron Day Wells house (c 1850)
3 Manning St. (after 1910)
3 Maple Avenue, the Harland and Blanche Burke house (1916)
3 Mineral Street, the Charles H. Baker house (c 1870)
3 Newbury Road, the Philomen Foster house and barn (1787)
3 Short Street, the Short Street Store (1884)
3 Spring Street, the James Scott house (1840)
3 Summer Street, the Benjamin Kimball house (Thomas Smith currier c 1730, moved in 1803)
30 Candlewood Rd., the Ephraim Brown house (1825)
30 East Street, the Francis Jordan house
30 High Street, the Joseph Bolles house (1722)
30 Jeffreys Neck Road, The Searle estate (1910)
30 South Main Street, the Old Town Hall (1833)
30 Summer Street, the Smith-Barton house (moved 1880)
300 years on Grape Island
306 Linebrook Road, the Deacon William Foster Conant house (1833)
307 High Street, the Moses Jewett house (1759)
31 Argilla Rd. (c 1910)
31 County Street, Ascension Memorial Episcopal Church (1875)
31 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Nathaniel Scott house (1838)
31 Mineral Street (c 1870)
31 North Main Street, the Methodist Church (1859)
31 South Main Street, the Dr. Joseph Manning house (1727)
31 Summer Street, the Bartlett house (c 1870)
31 Washington St., the Laffy – Chapman – Morrill house (c 1880)
310 High Street, the Stephen Pearson house (1808)
311 High Street, the Amos Jewett house (1834)
315 High Street, the Apphia Jewett house (1834)
315 Linebrook Road, the William Conant house (1777)
317 High Street, the Capt. George Washington Howe house (1850)
32 Washington Street, the Frederick Bray – Daniel Nourse House (c 1870)
32 Water Street, the Jabesh Sweet house (1713)
320 High Street, the Jonathan Crowell Fox heel factory (1888)
320 Linebrook Rd., the Daniel Conant house (1875)
321 High Street, the Aaron Jewett – Mark Cate house (1780)
327 High Street, the Annie Donovan house (1873, reconstructed in 1914)
33 Broadway St., the Barkowski house (c 1920)
33 Central Street, Memorial Hall (1921)
33 East St., the Old Store (1830)
33 High Street, the John and Sarah Dillingham Caldwell house (1660/1709)
33 Mineral Street, the Caroline Norman house, 1884 (moved from Central St.)
33 North Main Street, the Nathaniel Wait house (1865)
34 High Street, the White Horse Inn (1659 / 1763)
34 Lakeman’s Lane, the Wade-Kinsman- Cameron house (c 1860)
34 Mitchell Road, the Mitchell Farm (1800)
34 North Main Street, the William Pulcifer house (1836)
341 Linebrook Road, the Lot Conant house (1717, altered beyond recognition)
347 Linebrook Road, the Foster-Conant house (1840)
35 Central St., the Caldwell-Copp house
35 County St., the Lydia and Reuben Daniels house (1863)
35 East Street, the Luther Wait house (1810)
35 Mill Road, the Captain William Warner house (1780)
35 Mineral Street, the Smith house (c 1835)
35 Washington Street, the Charles and Margaret Bell house (c 1890)
36 Candlewood Road, the Martin Keith house (1807, moved 1995)
36 North Main Street, the Dr. John Manning house (1769)
36 South Main St., the Hall-Haskell House (Ipswich Visitor Center), 1820
36 Summer Street, the John Brocklebank house (1856)
36 Water Street, the York – Averill House (1715)
37 East Street, the Stephen Baker house (1834)
37 High Street, Lord – Baker House (1720)
37 South Main Street, Baker’s Store (b. 1828)
37 Summer Street, the William H. Jewett house (b 1872)
37 Washington Street, the Brown-Grossman-Doucette house (1884)
375 Linebrook Rd., the Thomas Foster house (1800)
38 Central Street, the Measures building (c 1900)
38 East Street, the John Harris house (1743)
38 High Street, the Joseph N. Caldwell house (c 1875)
38 Newmarch St., the Tobias Lakeman House (1732)
38 North Main Street, the Old Post Office (1763)
38 Summer Street, the William M. and Jennie Ellsworth house (1881)
387 Linebrook Road, David Tulley Perley farm (1880)
39 – 41 High Street, the Daniel Lummus house (1746 with earlier elements)
39 Broadway St. (1929)
39 Mineral Street (c 1920)
39 Summer Street, the Foster – Grant house (1717)
391 Linebrook Road, Linebrook Parish Church (1848)
392 Linebrook Road, the Emerson Howe house (1810)
393 Linebrook Rd., the David Tullar Perley house (1851)
395 Linebrook Rd., the Alvin T. Guilford house (1835)
4 Cameron Avenue (1928)
4 East St., the old Methodist Parsonage, 1830
4 Elm Street, Condon’s Grocery
4 Green Street, the William H. Graves house (1852)
4 Highland Ave., the George & Elizabeth Spencer house (c 1910)
4 Lords Square, Old Fire House (c 1870)
4 Maple Avenue, the Arthur H. and Madeline H. Tozer house (1915)
4 Mount Pleasant Ave., the William Hayes building, c 1890
4 Old Right Road, the Tenney house (c 1900)
4 Water Street, the Jewett house (1849)
40 High Street, the William Caldwell House (1733)
40 North Main Street, the Captain Brewer house (1825)
40 Summer Street, the Denison Rust house (b 1872)
402 Linebrook Rd. (1929)
403 Linebrook Road, the Timothy Morse house (1817)
41 Candlewood Road, the Boardman house (c 1730)
41 Linebrook Road, Old Cross Farm (c 1717)
41 Turkey Shore Road, the William Howard House (c.1680/ 1709)
41 Washington Street, the George Brown house (1883)
411 Linebrook Rd. (1938)
41-47 South Main St., R. W. Davis dealership (1930)
419 Linebrook Rd., the Eliza Howe Perley house (1840)
42 East Street, the Joseph Hovey house (1850)
42 Heartbreak Road, the Thomas and John Low house (frame before 1684)
42 High Street, the Abner Harris house (c 1800)
42 Labor in Vain Road, the Arthur L. Sweetser house (c. 1898)
42 North Main Street, the John Johnson house (1871)
42 Washington Street, DJ’s Variety Store (1938)
421 Linebrook Road, the Abraham Howe barn (1725)
43 Argilla Road, the Giddings – Burnham house (b 1667)
43 Avery St. (c 1900)
43 High Street, the Fitts- Manning-Tyler house (1767)
43 Summer Street, the Wilcomb-Pinder house (1718)
437 Linebrook Road, the Allen Perley farm (1784)
44 Argilla Rd. (c 1930)
44 Central St., the Ellen V. Lang house (c 1885)
44 East Street, the John Roberts house (c 1870)
44 Fellows Road, the Joseph Fellows Jr. house (1734)
44 High Street, the Francis Goodhue house (circa 1800)
44 Mill Road, Holiday Hill, The William and Violet Thayer house (1897)
44 North Main Street, the Harry K. Dodge & Josephine Hurd house (1886)
44 Washington St., the Howard Hills house (1905)
45 County Street, the Amos Dunnels house (1823)
45 Heartbreak Road, the James Burnham house (1690)
45 High Street, the John Lummus house (1712)
45 North Main Street, the Isaac Flitchner house (1860)
46 N. Main Street, the James Damon house (1866)
4-6 Summer Street, the Cotton-Nourse house (1840)
46 Summer Street, the James Foster house (1720)
46 Washington Street, the James S. Marble- James Peatfield house (1859)
47 County Street, the Benjamin Grant house (1735)
47 Jeffreys Neck Rd., the Dodge house, Greenwood Farm (1870)
47 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Paine house (1694)
47 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Paine house (1694)
47 North Main Street, the George Farley House (1888)
48 East St., the Tyler Caldwell house (1860)
48 High Street, Samuel W. Baker house (1852)
48 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Hannah Aspell house, 1854
48 Market Street, the Bailey house (c 1887)
48 North Main Street, the Thomas Morley house (c 1750, alt. 1845)
48 Summer St., the Alonzo and Abbie Butler house, (1868)
48 Turkey Shore Road, the Nathaniel Hodgkins house (1720)
49 Candlewood Road, the Robert Kinsman house (b 1714)
49 North Main Street, the John Chapman house (1770)
49 Turkey Shore Road, the Austin Measures house (1874)
5 Argilla Rd. (c 1900)
5 County Street, the Richard Rindge / Pindar house (1718)
5 Hemlock Drive: Fairview, the Charles Campbell estate (1900)
5 Linebrook Rd., the Richard Lane house (1851)
5 Maple Avenue, the G. Baxter – Frank Campbell house (1890)
5 South Village Green, the Aaron Smith house (1776)
5 Spring Street, the Henderson house (c. 1880)
5 Summer Street, the Widow Fuller house (1725)
5 Wildes Court, the James H. and Frances Lakeman house (circa 1900)
50 Argilla Road, the Burnham-Andrews house (1815)
50 Mill Road, the Caleb Warner house (1734)
50 North Main Street, the James Brown house (1700 / 1721)
50-56 Market Street, the Lord-Sullivan-Haskell house (1847)
51 East St., 1845 (demolished)
51 Linebrook Road, the Hart House (1678)
51 North Main Street, the Sarah Lord house (1849)
52 Jeffreys Neck Road, Ross Tavern – Lord Collins house (c 1690)
52 Jeffreys Neck Road, Shatswell Planters Cottage (c 1646)
52 N. Main Street, the Treadwell – Hale house (1799)
52-54 High Street, the Kingsbury – Lord – Harris house (after 1716)
53 Argilla Road, the Samuel Kinsman house (1750-77)
53 Washington Street, the George W. Smith – Pickard House, (1880)
54 S. Main St., the Heard House / Ipswich Museum
55 Central Street, Central Fire Station (1907)
55 East St. (c 1922)
55 Waldingfield Rd., Waldingfield (1929)
56 Fellows Road, the Josiah Brown house, (1812)
56 N. Main St., the Dodge and Spiller Grocery (c 1850)
56 Washington Street, the Ephraim Goodhue House (1875)
57 High Street, the Stone – Rust – Abraham Lummus house (c 1750)
57 North Main Street, the Day-Dodge House (1737)
5-7 Poplar Street, the Dr. John Calef house (1671)
57 South Main Street, Ipswich Mills boarding house (1876)
58 North Main Street, the Captain Richard Rogers House (1728)
58 Waldingfield Rd., the Hoyt house (c 1885)
59 Candlewood Road, the Jeremiah Kinsman house (1752)
59 East Street, the Daniel Rindge house (1719)
59 South Main Street, the Philomen Dean house (Old Lace Factory) (1716)
59 Turkey Shore Road, the Elizabeth and Otis Glover house (c 1870)
59 Washington Street, the Charles W. Bamford house (C 1887)
6 Agawam Avenue, the Augustine Carey – Captain John Hobbs house (1855)
6 East Street, the Daniel Russell house (1818)
6 High Street, the Joseph Ross house (1884)
6 Highland Ave., the George Spencer Sr. house (c 1880)
6 Hovey Street, the Thomas Foulds Ellsworth house (1866)
6 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Oliver L. Sanborn house (1855)
6 Liberty St. (c. 1890)
6 Manning Street, the H. K. Damon house (1890)
6 Meetinghouse Green, the Captain Israel Pulcifer house (1812)
6 Newbury Road, the Joseph B. Perley house (1865)
6 Riverbank Lane, the Henry Rodman Kenyon house (1902)
6 South Main Street, the Shoreborne Wilson – Samuel Appleton house (1685)
6 Water Street, the Reginald Foster house (1690/1745)
61 High Street, the Timothy B. Ross house, c 1870
61 Market Street, formerly the Damon Block (1982)
61 Turnpike Road, the John Foster house (1780)
62 East Street, the Treadwell-Wainwright House (1691 / 1726)
62 Washington St., the Robert Stone house (1869)
63 Turkey Shore Road, the Isaac Foss house (1870)
64 County Road, the Southside Store (c. 1836)
65 Candlewood Road, the Rhoda Kinsman house ( 1776 / 1818)
65 Waldingfield Road, Sunswick (1890)
66 Argilla Road, the George Haskell house (1855)
66 High Street, the John Harris-Mark Jewett house (1795)
66 Labor in Vain Rd., the Giddings-Gould-Weatherall house (1795-1850)
67 Turkey Shore Road, the Stephen Boardman house (1720)
68 County Road, Calvin Locke’s Folly (1836)
68 Essex Rd., the Levi Brown house (1832)
68 High Street, the Wood – Lord house (c 1740)
68 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Captain John Smith house (c 1740)
6-8 North Main St., Taverner Sparks (c.1671-1710)
69 S. Main Street, the Samuel Dutch house (1733, rear section may be older)
7 Argilla Rd. (c. 1920)
7 County Street, the Thomas Dennis House (1663-1706)
7 East Street, the Sadie Stockwell house (1888)
7 Liberty St., the John W. and Annie M. Lord house (C 1867)
7 Linebrook Rd. (1914)
7 Manning St., the E W. Russell house (c 1890)
7 Maple Avenue, the Fred A. Nason house (1896)
7 South Village Green, the Rev. John Rogers – Col. John Baker House (c 1700-1761)
7 Summer Street, the Thomas Treadwell house (C 1740)
70 County Road, the John Hayes house (1910)
72 County Road, the David Giddings house (1828)
73 High Street, the Nathaniel Lord house (C 1720)
74 Essex Rd., the Willard B. and Harriett Manning Kinsman house (1851)
76 County Road, the Asa Wade house (1831)
76 East Street, the Hodgkins – Lakeman House (c. 1690)
77 High Street, the John Kimball house (1680)
78 County Road, the Samuel Wade house (1831)
78 East Street, the James Glover house (c 1860)
78 Washington Street, the Daniel Haskell House (1835)
79 Central Street, the Foster Russell Jr. house (1883)
79 County Road, the Jacob Manning house (c. 1820)
79 East St., Curran house (c 1870)
79 High Street, the Thomas H. Lord house (c 1835)
8 Agawam Avenue, the Newmarch – Spiller house (1798)
8 Brown Street, Timothy Carey house (1890)
8 East Street, the Captain Matthew Perkins house (1701)
8 High Street, Frederick and Sally Ross house (1887)
8 Kimball Ave, the W. B. Richards house (b 1910)
8 Liberty Street, (1938)
8 Linebrook Rd., the C. Chester Caldwell house
8 Manning Street, the Jordan house, (c. 1890)
8 Maple Ave., the George Tozer house (circa 1890)
8 Meeting House Green, the David T. Kimball House (1808)
8 Summer Street, the Daniel Glazier house (1840)
8 Warren Street, the James Harris house
8 Water Street, the Pengry-Harris-Sutton House (1677-1743, completely reconstructed in 2000)
8 Woods Lane, the James Peatfield house (1833)
80 Central Street, the Malachi Nolan house (1877)
80 East Street, the Perkins – Hodgkins House (c 1700)
80 Essex Rd., the Nathaniel and Joanna Kinsman house (c 1770)
82 Central St., the Isaac J. Potter house (b 1884)
82 County Road, the Brown – Manning house (1835)
82 High Street, the John Brewer house (1680)
83 Central Street, the International House (1866)
83 County Road, the Rogers-Brown-Rust House (1665-1723)
83 High Street, the Isaac Lord house, 1696 – 1806
84 County Road, the Reverends Daniel Fitz and Moses Welch house (1829)
84 High Street, the John Smith house (c 1830)
84 Topsfield Rd., the Bosson -Hayward-Goodhue-Jarlowicz house (c. 1874)
85 County Road, the John Wade house (1810)
85 High Street, the Elizabeth and Phillip Lord house (1774)
86 County Road, the Burnham – Brown house (1775)
87 Central Street (c 1890)
87 High Street, the Sewall Jewett house (1830)
88 Central Street, the W. L. Johnson house (c 1880)
88 County Road, the Col. Nathaniel Wade House (1727)
88-90 High Street, the Shatswell-Tuttle house (right side by 1690 / left,1806)
89 Argilla Rd. (1834)
89 High Street, the Moses Jewett house (1830)
9 Argilla Rd. (c 1900)
9 County Street, the Benjamin Dutch house (1705)
9 East Street, the Foster Russell house (1856)
9 Green Street, the Elizabeth Holland house (1811)
9 High Street, the Samuel Newman house (1762)
9 Liberty St. (c. 1880)
9 Manning St., the Albert P. Hills house (c. 1890)
9 Poplar St., the Seward – Mavroides house (1873)
9 Woods Lane, the Francis Merrifield – Mary Wade house (1792)
90 Central Street, the Brown-Riley house (1897)
90 County Road, the William Wade house (1822)
91 Central Street, the Sylvanius and Mary Canney house (c 1866)
91 Old Right Road, the Jacob Potter house (c 1845)
92 Central St., the Abbie G. Lord house, 1871
92 County Road, the Nathaniel Wade house and shop (1810)
93 High Street, the John Cole Jewett house (1813)
935 Bay Road, Hamilton MA, the Dane house
94 County Road, Jesse and John Wade’s shop (1888)
94 Essex Road, the William G. Horton house (c 1900)
95 High Street, the Simon and Hannah Adams house (c. 1700)
96 County Road, Old South Church Parsonage (1860)
97 Central Street, the Olive and Charles McIntire house (1885)
98 Central Street, the William and Abigail Haskell house (b 1884)
A century ago – The Spanish Flu epidemic raged in Massachusetts in 1918
A Chronology of Ipswich Public Works: Telegraph, Telephone, Gas, Water, Electricity, Trash, Sewer, Wind and Solar
A Chronology of Ipswich history
A complete list of Ipswich enlistments in the Civil War
A Heated Battle – Lodge vs. Curley 1936
A History of Clark Pond, Great Neck, Ipswich MA
A history of the Ipswich River
A Nostalgic Glance at Harvard’s Early History
A photographic and chronological history of the Ipswich Schools
A photographic history of the Ipswich Mills Dam
A priceless reservoir of early American history
A Revolutionary Guest: John Adams’ letters from Ipswich
A romantic tale from the Great Snow of Feb. 21-24, 1717
A short history of Ipswich dog laws
A simple badge and gun does not a copper make
A State of Nature, Worcester in 1774
A stroll down Water Street
A Sunday at Old Ipswich
A town of immigrants
A tragic story from old Gloucester
A very old pear tree grows in Danvers
A visit to the Whipple House with Paul Valcour & Gordon Harris
A visitors guide to the homes of the early inhabitants of Ipswich MA
A Wager on the Rooster
Abbott Lowell Cummings, author of The Framed Houses of Massachusetts Bay
Abigail Adams to John Adams: All men would be tyrants if they could.
Abolition and the Underground Railroad in Essex County
About this site (with Index)
Abraham Knowlton, Workman of rare skill
Acadian exiles in Ipswich, 1755
Account of the soldiers of Chebacco Parish at Bunker Hill
Adrift on a Haystack, December 1786
After electoral defeat, neither Adams President attended his successor’s inauguration
Agawam Heights
Along the Ipswich River
Along the Old Bay Road
An Amazing Coincidence on July 4, 1826
An autumn walk in the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary
Ancient Prejudice against the Indians Persists in Essex County Today
Anne Dudley Bradstreet, the colony’s first published poet
Appleton Farms
April 1, 1970: The Massachusetts Legislature challenges the Vietnam War
Architectural styles and preservation resources
Argilla Road
Arrival of the English
Arthur Wesley Dow’s images of Ipswich
Asbury Grove Methodist Camp Meeting, Hamilton MA
At long last, sir, have you left no sense of decency?
Awful Calamities: the Shipwrecks of December, 1839
Behold, a Pale Corpse
Bill George’s nostalgic look at old Ipswich
Block prints from the 1950 IHS calendar: Old Time Ipswich
Bombshell from Louisbourg
Books and documents
Born in a refuge camp
Boston Irish Long Remembered the 1834 Charlestown Convent Fire
Boston’s Great Molasses Flood, January 15, 1919
Brought to Civility — The Colonists and Indian Land, Part 2
Brown Stocking Mill Historic District
Building a ship in Essex
Building wooden ships
Bungalows of Ipswich
Calendar of events
Candlewood Road
Captain Arthur H. Hardy, 1972
Carted back to Ipswich, 1714
Central Street in ashes, January 13, 1894
Charles Wendell Townsend, Ipswich naturalist
Chebacco Old Graveyard interment locations
Chebacco Parish Old Graveyard
Chelmsford Center for the Arts
Choate Island and Rufus Choate
Choate-Caldwell House, 16 Elm St. (Now at Smithsonian)
Chronological history of the Old North Burying Ground
Clam Battle!
Col. Doctor Thomas Berry, Last of the Ipswich Aristocracy
Col. Nathaniel Shatswell and the Battle of Harris Farm
Colonial and Colonial Revival houses
Colonial New England Funerals
County Street
County Street, Sawmill Point, and bare hills
Crocker Snow, Aviation Pioneer
Crossing the tracks on High Street
Dalliance and too much familiarity
Daniel Denison
Daniel Hovey
Daniel Low’s Silver Witch Spoons among Salem’s First Souvenirs
David Tenney Kimball, pastor of First Church, 1805 – 1855
Death in a snowstorm, December 1, 1722
Deluge! An Eyewitness Account of the Mother’s Day Storm of 2006
Depot Square
Descendants of John and Judith Gator Perkins of Ipswich
Descendants of Robert Kinsman of Ipswich
Destination Ipswich
Destination Ipswich: a walk in the dunes
Destination Ipswich: a walk up Spring Street
Destination Ipswich: Strawberry Hill and Greenwood Farm
Destination Ipswich: Turkey Hill & Damon Farm
Diamond Stage
Discovery of native American shell heap on Treadwell’s Island, 1882
Disorder in the Corn Fields: The Colonists and Indian Land, Part 3
Dogtown, its history and legends
Dow Brook and Bull Brook
Dr. Manning’s windmill
Drunkards, liars, a hog, a dog, a witch, disorderly persons and the innkeeper
Dustbane–sawdust in a can!
Dying Confession of Pomp, a Negro Man Who Was Executed at Ipswich on the 6th August, 1795
Early American Gardens
Early gravestones at the Old North Burying Ground
Early Ipswich, A paradise for politicians
East Street
Edward & Faith Brown house, 27 High St. (c 1650-1750)
Election night in Ipswich
Emma Jane Mitchell Safford
Eunice Stanwood Caldwell Cowles
Every house has a story
Fine Thread, Lace and Hosiery
First Church burns, June 13, 1965
First Period construction
First Period, Georgian and Federal-era houses of Ipswich
Flight from Rooty Plain
Fortitude, Rectitude and Attitude. Remembering the Life and Times of Ipswich Police Sergeant Frank Geist
Four old houses that stood on High St.
Four-year-old Dorothy Good is jailed for witchcraft, March 24, 1692
Freedom for Jenny Slew
Gathering salt marsh hay
General Michael Farley
George Dexter’s early photos of Ipswich
George Washington’s Farewell Address
Gettin’ away on the ‘Pike
Ghosts of Independence Day
Glen Magna and the Joseph Peabody Family of Salem
Glover’s Wharf and the Ipswich coal industry
Governing Ipswich
Gravestones at the Ipswich Old South Cemetery
Great Sorrows, the Deadly Throat Distemper of 1735
Green crabs in the salt marsh
Hammatt Street, Brown Square and Farley Brook
Hannah Jumper leads raid on Rockport liquor establishments, July 8, 1856
Harvard Graduate School of Design study for downtown Ipswich
Haselelponah Wood
Haunted houses of Ipswich
Her name was Patience
High Spirits on Town Hill
High Street Historic District
Highland Cemetery
High-posted Capes
Historic architecture resources
Historic districts & neighborhoods
Historic houses of Ipswich
Historic maps of Ipswich
History of Great Neck
History of Plum Island
Homes of the descendants of Daniel Rindge and Mary Kinsman of Ipswich
Homes of the descendants of John Baker of Ipswich
Homes of the descendants of Richard and Ursula Scott Kimball of Rattlesden, who settled in Ipswich
Homes of the Manning family of Ipswich
Homes of the Appletons
Homes of the Jewetts
Homes of the Lords
Homes of the Wades
How Christmas came to Ipswich
How I came to Ipswich
How Ipswich celebrated the end of the Revolutionary War
How the Irish made their mark in New England
How will sea level rise affect Ipswich?
Hurricane Carol, September 6, 1954
Hurricanes and winter storms
Illegal Currency: Ipswich and the Land Bank scheme of 1740-41
Images from the Ipswich Rotary harnecues, 1952-55
Images of Water Street
Immigrants Highland Annex Cemetery
In Congress, July 4, 1776
In English ways
In the Good Old Summer Time – Swampscott Estates
Indigenous Peoples of the North shore
Inscriptions at the Old North Burying Ground (from Memento Mori)
Interactive map of Ipswich
Ipswich 250th Anniversary Celebration Reported by the Boston Globe
Ipswich and the breach with Britain
Ipswich and the Salem witchcraft trials
Ipswich Architectural Preservation District
Ipswich Arts Association
Ipswich as described by John Greenleaf Whittier
Ipswich at war
Ipswich Bluffs
Ipswich burying grounds
Ipswich Caring
Ipswich during World War II
Ipswich Genealogy Resources
Ipswich Genealogy Resources
Ipswich Historical Commission
Ipswich Hosiery
Ipswich Hosiery, page 2
Ipswich Hosiery, page 3
Ipswich Hosiery, page 4
Ipswich Hosiery, page 5
Ipswich Hosiery, page 6
Ipswich Hosiery, page 7
Ipswich Hosiery, page 8
Ipswich Hosiery, page 9
Ipswich houses constructed before 1725 (First Period)
Ipswich in the 17th Century
Ipswich in the 18th Century
Ipswich in the 19th Century
Ipswich in the 20th Century
Ipswich in the 21st Century
Ipswich in the Civil War
Ipswich in the Great Depression
Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony
Ipswich in the Revolutionary War
Ipswich in the World War
Ipswich listings in the National Register of Historic Places
Ipswich Manning house at the MFA
Ipswich mills and factories
Ipswich Mills Dam feasibility study
Ipswich Mills Historic District
Ipswich mob attacks Loyalist Representative Dr. John Calef
Ipswich Old North Burying Ground Section A
Ipswich Old North Burying Ground Section B
Ipswich Old North Burying Ground Section C
Ipswich Old North Burying Ground Section D
Ipswich Old North Burying Ground Section E
Ipswich Old North Burying Ground Section F
Ipswich Old North Burying Ground Section G
Ipswich Old South Cemetery
Ipswich Pillow lace
Ipswich Pine
Ipswich Red Raiders, a melting pot of awesome contenders!
Ipswich Streets and Neighborhoods
Ipswich to Marietta, December 1787
Ipswich Town by James Appleton Morgan
Ipswich town meeting
Ipswich trails
Ipswich Village (Upper High St.)
Ipswich Visitor Center
Ipswich Visitor Center
Ipswich woman survived two train crashes on February 28, 1956!
Ipswich Yesterday by Alice Keenan
Ipswich, Slavery and the Civil War
Ipswich, the Brookfield Massacre and King Philip’s War
Isaac Cummings of Ipswich and Topsfield
Jack Helfant, the hermit of Sandy Point from 1962-67
Jacob Perkins house, 80 East St. (c. 1690-1720)
Jake Burridge, the sailor
James and Sanford Peatfield
Jane Hooper, the fortune-teller
January 12, 1912: Lawrence Bread and Roses strike
Jeffreys’ Neck Road
John Adams’ long walk through the Neck
John Calef house, 7 Poplar St. (1671)
John Dunton’s visit to Ipswich and Rowley in 1686
John Eales, Beehive Maker
John Fiske, 1939-2021
John Freeman, an African American Revolutionary War soldier from Ipswich
John Proctor of Ipswich
John Sparks, taverner, 6 N. Main St. (1671)
John Updike, the Ipswich years
John Winthrop Jr., here and gone
John Winthrop’s journal of the ship Arbella’s voyage to America, March 29 – July 8, 1630
Joseph English: Loyalty and Survival in the Life of a Colonial Native Scout
Joseph Ross, 19th Century Ipswich bridge builder
Joseph Stockwell Manning, a Civil War hero from Ipswich
Kamon Farm-Turkey Hill hike
Keeping My Bearings in Changing Times
Killed by a swordfish in Ipswich Bay, August 19, 1886
Killing wolves
Kings Rook and the Stonehenge Club, when Ipswich rocked!
Kiss of Death at New England textile mills
Labor in Vain House, c.1720 (Labor in Vain-Fox Creek private road)
Labor in Vain house, Ipswich (1720)
Lakemans Lane and Fellows Road
Land grants & homes of the early settlers of Ipswich
Legendary ships of Salem
Leslie Road Burial Ground, 169 Leslie Rd., Rowley MA
Leslie’s Retreat, or how the Revolutionary War almost began in Salem, February 26, 1775
Let’s Go Walking……. After Midnight……
Liberty Street
Lieutenant Ruhama Andrews and the 1775 Battle of Quebec
Life in the summer of polio
Life in the Time of Greenheads
Linebrook Parish
Little Neck
Little Neck Nostalgia
Living descendants of the Native Americans of Agawam
Local produce
Locust Grove Cemetery
Lord Timothy Dexter
Lords Square
Lucretia Brown and the last witchcraft trial in America, May 14, 1878
Lucy Kimball
Luke and Elizabeth Perkins, notorious disturbers of the peace and a wicked-tongued Woman
Lydia Wardwell on her presentment for coming naked into Newbury meeting house
Madame Shatswell’s cup of tea
Manitou in Context
Manning Street, a Victorian neighborhood
Manning’s Neck
Maple Ave.
Maps to interments at the Old North Burying Ground
Mark Quilter, upon complaint against him for striking Rebeckah Shatswell
Market Square
Market Street
Mary P. Conley award
Mary Perkins Bradbury, charged as a witch
Mason’s Claim
Mass Moments: Puritans Leave for Massachusetts
Massachusetts Provincial Law: An Act to Prevent the Destruction of Alewives on the Ipswich River
Measuring Time–by an hourglass
Meeting House Green Historic District
Meeting House Green plaque commemorates Lafayette’s visit to Ipswich
Mehitabel Braybrooke, in the Shadow of Salem
Mehitable Braybrook, who burned down Jacob and Sarah Perkins’ house, married John Downing and was arrested for witchcraft
Melanson’s fire, August 7, 2009
Memento Mori
Memento Mori, the Old North Burying Ground
Mill End Ipswich
Moll Pitcher, the fortune teller of Lynn and Marblehead
Moses and Aaron Pengry and their descendants
Mothers Day Flood, May 14-16, 2006
Mount Pleasant Neighborhood
My father’s letter, Feb. 10, 1948
My Ipswich connections
Names of the Ipswich slaves
Nancy Weare
Nancy’s Corner
Nathan Dane
Nathaniel Ward (1578-1652)
Native American Influence on English Fashions
New Linebrook Cemetery
Newburyport and its Neighborhood in 1874, by Harriet Prescott Spofford
Newburyport interactive map keeps history alive
Newburyport Turnpike opens, February 11, 1805: Over every hill and missing every town
No matter how you roll the dice, it’s still a lot of Clams!
Norm Abram and Matt Diana go inside two old houses
Notable Persons from Ipswich history
November 5: Guy Fawkes Day (Pope Night)
Nuclear Ipswich, 1967-1970
Oh, wintry Christmas of my youth!
Old English barns in Ipswich.
Old house, new home
Old Linebrook Cemetery
Old North Burying Ground (index by map location)
Old North Burying Ground Section H
Old North Burying Ground
Old Roads and Bridges of Newbury and Newburyport
Old Toryism, mock Federalism & the Essex Junto
One Third for the Widow
Open Spaces
Other blogs (RSS)
Painting your historic house, a guide to colors and color schemes
Patronage and Scandal at the Ipswich Customs House
Paul McGinley
Paul Revere’s not so famous ride through Ipswich, December 13, 1774
Peg Wesson, the Gloucester witch
Pemberton Mill in Lawrence collapses and burns, killing workers; January 10, 1860
Persecution of Quakers by the Puritans
Photographs by Edward Darling
Photos from Clamtown
Photos from the Great Snow of 2015
Photos of Ipswich
Photos of the dunes late on a winter afternoon
Pingrey’s Plain, the gallows lot
Pink Flamingos, more musings from a musty mind
Pioneer in Partnership award
Plaques for historic houses
Play and recreation in a town of 6000, a recreational study of Ipswich, Massachusetts, November 1914
Play Ball! Bialek Park
Plum Island
Plum Island the Way it Was
Police open fire at the Ipswich Mills Strike, June 10, 1913
Politics of the Archives Redux: Indigenous History of Indigenous Peoples of Essex County, Massachusetts
Portraits from Ipswich a century ago
Preservation Agreements
Preserve and protect
President Washington visits Ipswich, October 30, 1789
Primary Colors
Prominent Members of the early Ipswich bar
PTSD in the Massachusetts Bay Colony
Publications of the Ipswich Historical Society
Rachel Clinton arrested for witchcraft, May 28, 1692
Ralph W. Burnham, Antiques and Hooked Rugs
Recent posts: Historic Ipswich
Recollections of A Boy’s Life In The Village
Remembering John Dolan
Remembering Susan Howard Boice
Remembering Taffy Hill
Reply by the Town of Ipswich to the Boston Pamphlet, December 28, 1772
Request for Statements of Interest for Public Safety properties
Resources for local Native American history and dialects
Riverbend, the Barnard estate (Marguery Restaurant), 1915
Roads to Paradise
Robert Paine house, 47 Jeffreys Neck Rd. (1694)
Rowdy Nights at Quartermaster Perkins’ Tavern
Rum runners
Samuel Goodhue’s pier
Samuel Symonds, gentleman: complaint to Salem court against his two servants, 1661
Samuel Symonds’ house
Santa hits the Ipswich lightkeeper’s house, December 24, 1937
Sarah Dillingham Caldwell
Sarah Goodhue’s advance directive, July 14, 1681
Saving John Appleton’s house
Saving the Egypt River
Saving the Rooster
Search this site
Seating in the Meeting House
Self-governed at Market Square
Self-guided tour of historic Ipswich MA
Settlers and early inhabitants of Ipswich
Shay’s Rebellion
Sketches of Cape Ann
Soffron Brothers Ipswich Clams
Something to Preserve
Something Wicked Your Way Comes
South Congregational Church
South Green Historic District
South Main Street
Stories from Chebacco (Essex)
Stories from Essex
Stories from Gloucester and Rockport
Stories from Ipswich
Stories from Marblehead
Stories from Newbury and Newburyport
Stories from Rockport
Stories from Rowley
Stories from Salem
Stories from the Hamlet (Hamilton)
Stories from the Courts
Stories from Topsfield
Strawberry Hill and Greenwood Farm
Strong drink
Sue Nelson, 2010 Mary P. Conley Award winner
Sullivan’s Corner
Sullivan’s Corner, the last years of the farm
Sullivan’s Corner, the backdrop
Sullivan’s Corner: Putting Hay In
Sullivan’s Corner: Saving the Barn
Sullivan’s Corner: The Farm in Repose
Sullivan’s Corner: The House on the Corner
Sullivan’s Corner: The Last Years of the Farm
Sullivan’s Corner: The World Nearby
Sullivan’s Corner: The Cows
Sullivan’s Corner: The Land
Sullivan’s Corner: The Stand
Sullivan’s Corner: What Remains
Sullivan’s Corner: Who Was There
Summer Street
Supercontinents, ice ages, and the hills of Ipswich
Taking to the air in Ipswich, 1910
Tales of Olde Ipswich by Harold Bowen
Teddy Roosevelt’s Ipswich whistlestop, December 1912
That we may avoid the least scrupulo of intrusion – The Colonists and Indian Land, Part I
The 1640 Hart House Restaurant, 51 Linebrook Rd. (1678)
The 1735 Benjamin Grant & Anne Perkins house, 47 County St.
The 1918 flu epidemic in Ipswich
The 1934 parade celebrating the 300th Anniversary of the founding of Ipswich
The 2016 Ipswich drought
The ABCs of Town Meeting
The Agawam Diner
The Amazing Story of Hannah Duston, March 14, 1697
The ancient names of Ipswich streets and places
The Ancient Records of the Town of Ipswich
The Andrew Burley house, 12 Green St. (1688)
The Arnold Expedition arrives in Ipswich, September 15, 1775
The Artisan of Ipswich by Robert Tarule
The Arts Need Space
The Baker-Sutton house, 115 High St. (c.1725)
The Battle of Middle Ground
The Bay Circuit Trail in Ipswich
The Birthplace of American Independence
The Birthplace of American Independence, 1687 
The Blizzard of ’78, February 5, 1978
The Body of Liberties, the Ipswich Connection, and the Origin of written Constitutionalism in Massachusetts
The Body Snatcher of Chebacco Parish
The Bones of Masconomet
The boy who fell beneath the ice
The bridges of Ipswich
The British attack on Sandy Bay, Sept. 8, 1814
The Bull Brook Paleo-Indian Discovery
The Burke Heel Factory and Canney Lumber Fire, June 19, 1933
The Burnham-Patch-Day house, 1 Turkey Shore (1730)
The Caldwell house, 33 High St. (c. 1709)
The Caning of Senator Charles Sumner
The Cape Ann Earthquake, November 18, 1755
The Cape Ann Sea Serpent
The Cape Ann Vikings
The Capt. Matthew Perkins house, 8 East St. (1701)
The Central Street Victorian neighborhood
The Central Street Victorian neighborhood
The Chasm
The Choate Bridge
The Christian Wainwright house, demolished
The Civil War Monument
The Clammer
The clock tower at Hamilton First Church
The Col. John Baker house, 7 South Village Green (1761)
The Col. Nathaniel Wade house, 88 County Rd. (1727)
The Col. Nathaniel Wade house, 88 County Rd. (1727)
The Cold Friday of January 19, 1810
The Commons
The Commonwealth
The Constitutional Convention and establishment of the Electoral College
The courtship and marriage of William Durkee and Martha Cross
The Crane Estate (1928)
The Cricket
The Daniel Rindge house-John Wise saddle shop, 16 Mineral St. (c.1742 /1801)
The Dark Day, May 19, 1780
The deadly 1896 and 1911 New England heat waves
The defiant Samuel Appleton
The Detested Tea and the Ipswich Resolves
The Devil’s footprint
The Dungeons of Ipswich during the War of 1812
The Early History of Plum Island
The early history of Topsfield
The East End Historic District
The Essex County Receptacle for Idiots and the Insane at Ipswich
The farm at Wigwam Hill
The first jailbreak in the Colony, March 30, 1662
The Foster-Grant house, 39 Summer St. (1717)
The Fox Creek Canal
The Framed Houses of Massachusetts Bay, 1625-1725
The Francis Jordan house, 30 East St. (c. 1680)
The Gerrymander is born in Essex County, February 11, 1812
The ghost of Harry Maine
The Giles Firmin Park: from tannery to arboretum to playground
The grand hotels of Gloucester and Cape Ann
The Grand Old Fourth
The Great Agawam Stable Fire
The great and famous not so gentle Ipswich putdown
The Great Colonial Hurricane and the wreck of the Angel Gabriel
The Great Dying 1616-1619, By God’s visitation, a wonderful plague
The Great Estates of Ipswich
The Great Ipswich Fright, April 21, 1775
The Great Revere Train wreck, August 26, 1871
The Great Snows of 2011 and 2015
The Great White Hurricane, March 11, 1888
The Greek Hotel
The Green Street Bridge
The Green Street dam
The hanging of Elizabeth Attwood, who murdered her bastard child
The hanging of Ezra Ross and Bathsheba Spooner, July 2, 1778
The hanging of John Williams and William Schooler, July 1637
The Hayes Hotel
The Hello Girls
The Highs & Lows of the Rowley River
The Hovey clan and Knowlton’s Close, a 19th Century neighborhood
The Hum
The Ice House
The Industrial History of the Ipswich River
The Intolerable Acts of 1774
The Ipswich clam
The Ipswich Company, Massachusetts State Guard, 1942
The Ipswich Convention and the Essex Result
The Ipswich Female Seminary
The Ipswich jails
The Ipswich lighthouse
The Ipswich Revolt of 1687
The Ipswich River
The Ipswich Riverwalk mural
The Ipswich Sparrow
The Ipswich Town Farm, 1817-1928
The Ipswich Visitor Center
The Jacob Peabody house, 109 North St., Topsfield (1689)
The Jewel Mill and Stone Arch Bridge
The John Appleton house, 2 N. Main St. (1707)
The Joseph Farley house, 2 Meeting House Green (1842)
The Karma of Modern Problems
The Keeping of Cattle on Jeffreys Neck
The Kendrick-Staniford house, 3 Hovey St. (1665-1707)
The last cottage on Plum Island
The Legend of Goody Cole
The Legend of Heartbreak Hill
The Legend of Pudding Street
The Little Old Lady from Ipswich who was seen around the world
The Lord-Ellsworth farm
The Lowell Offering
The Loyalists
The Marblehead smallpox riot, January 1774
The Massachusetts Circular Letter, February 11, 1768
The Merchant Princes, Cyrus Wakefield and George Peabody
The Middle Circumferential Highway (that never happened)
The Middle Green
The Miles River
The mill girl’s letter: I can make you blush.
The Mill Road Bridge and the Isinglass Factory
The missing dunes at Castle Neck
The Muster Murder of 1787
The Newburyport Tea Party, March 1775
The North Shore and the Golden Age of Cycling
The Northern End of Plum Island
The not-so-humble beginnings of Olde Ipswich Days | Ipswich Local News
The old elm tree
The Old Town Landings and Wharfs
The Peat Meadows
The plantations at New Meadows, now Topsfield
The Plum Island Salt Company
The Polly Dole house, 1687-1720
The Postman Only Rang Once…….
The Price Act, passed at Ipswich, February 1777
The Proximity Fuze: How Ipswich women helped win WW II
The Railroad comes to Ipswich, December 20, 1839
The Reginald Foster house, 6 Water St. (c.1690-1745)
The reluctant pirate from Ipswich, Captain John Fillmore
The Rev. John Wise of Ipswich
The Revolutionary War letters of Joseph Hodgkins and Sarah Perkins
The Richard Ringe house, 5 County St. (1718)
The Ross Tavern
The sad story of Alexander Knight
The Samuel Dutch house, 69 S. Main St. (1733)
The Sham Robbery of Elijah Goodrich on his own person, tried in Ipswich
The Shatswell Fife and Drum Corps
The Shatswell-Tuttle house, 90 High St. (c. 1690)
The shipwrecks at Ipswich Bar
The Shoreborne Wilson house, 6 S. Main St. (c. 1692)
The Sidney Shurcliff Riverwalk
The Spectre Leaguers, July 1692
The Spectre Ship of Salem
The Stacey-Ross house, 20 Market St. (1734)
The stagecoach
The steamship Carlotta
The Story Behind the Story of Wigwam Hill
The story of Agnes Surriage, the Marblehead tavern maid
The Strand Opera House and Theater
The Switch Rideable Artscape
The temptations of John Dane, a Declaration of Remarkable Providences
The Thomas Dennis house, 7 County St. (1663-1706?)
The Thomas Knowlton house, 27 Summer St. (c.1692)
The Thomas Lord house, 17 High St. (c. 1658-1710)
The Thomas Lord house, 17 High St. (1658-1710)
The Tithingman at the Ipswich Meeting House
The Topsfield Linear Common and the Grand Wenham Canal
The Town Wharf
The Tragedy of the Wilderness: The Colonists and Indian Land, Part 4
The tragic story of Rebecca Rawson, 1679
The trolley comes to Ipswich, June 26, 1896
The Wainwright-Treadwell house, 62 East St. (1726)
The wearing of long hair and wigs
The Whipple House, Ipswich South Green (1677)
The William Howard house, 41 Turkey Shore (1680-1709)
The William Merchant house, 103 High St. (1639/1672)
The Willowdale Mill
The witchcraft accusations against Sarah Buckley and Mary Witheridge
The witchcraft trial of Elizabeth Howe, hanged July 19, 1692
The Witchcraft Trial of Elizabeth Morse of Newbury, 1680
The women of Chebacco build a Meeting House
Theodore Wendel’s Ipswich
This Old House visits the Ipswich 1634 Meadery
Thomas and Elizabeth Lull, the Caldwell sons and their descendants
Thomas and Susan French of Ipswich, their sons and daughters
Thoughts on an August Day
To secure a competence
To the Inhabitants of the Town of Ipswich, from Thomas Jefferson
Town Reports
Traditional American Thanksgiving in Art and Song
Treadwell’s Inn, 12 N. Main St. (1737)
Tricentennial & 17th Century Day Celebrations
Troubles with Sheep
Turkey Shore, a Colonial and Victorian neighborhood
Two Taverns for Two Susannas
Unrequited love and a murder-suicide
Valiant Ambition: George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the fate of the American Revolution
Voices from the Beach: The Ipswich Lighthouse
Voices of the Great Marsh
Walking tours of historic Ipswich
Warned Out
Washington and Liberty Streets
We walked in the clouds and could not see our way
We’re Here For a Good Time, Not For a Long Time. Remembering the Celebrated Life of Ipswich Police Officer Ed Walsh
What could be more funner than working in the summer
What our ancestors ate
When Herring Were Caught by Torchlight
Who Were the Agawam Indians, Really?
Why does Crane Beach have purple sound?
William Clancy, WWI hero
William Franklin of Newbury, hanged for the death of an indentured child in 1644
William Lampson -Bradley Palmer estate
Wind power from the Berkshires lights Ipswich homes
Winter walks in the dunes at Castle Neck
Women in Ipswich history
Wording it over the sheep and behaving badly
Wreck of the Ada K. Damon
Wreck of the Deposit, December 23, 1839
Wreck of the Edward S. Eveleth, October 1922
Wreck of the Falconer, December 17, 1847
Wreck of the Hesperus, Dec.15, 1839
Wreck of the Watch and Wait, August 24, 1635
Wrecks of the coal schooners
Yankee dictionary; a compendium of useful and entertaining expressions indigenous to New England