The Amos Jewett house at 311 High Street in Ipswich was constructed in or about 1834.
This property was part of the land purchased by Captain Moses Jewett in the third quarter of the 18th century when he extended his holdings north from the termination of the original Muzzey grant by the brook just west of his house. Moses Jewett’s grandson, Amos, built this house in 1834 for his bride.
The property passed to Phoebe Howe Jewett, his widow, in 1850 and then to Amos Greenville Jewett (b. 1837, d. 1869) who was a leather expert. His son, Amos Everett Jewett, author of the history of Rowley, was the owner until after 1945.
A small shoemaker’s or cordwainer’s shop south of the house is in its original location, Presumably it was used by Amos Grenville Jewett in his business. This is the only well-documented shoemaker’s shop remaining of the eleven present in Ipswich Village in the 19th century. The barn was built in 1907.