The Asa Wade House at 76 County Road in Ipswich was built between 1831 and 1836. Like the Samuel Wade house next door it has the gable end facing the street in the Greek Revival style. Asa Wade, original owner of the South Side Store, bought this property in 1831 and built a house. This building is somewhat similar to the house next door, which was built by Samuel Wade, who may have built both houses. The house is front-gabled, but is trimmed with Federal motifs.
Asa Wade opened his grocery at the corner of County Road and Poplar Street in 1836. He sold the store to Ebenezer Cogswell. Cogswell’s heir, Theodore F. Cogswell, sold to Frank T. Goodhue, and it was known in the 20th Century as the South Side Store. Deeds for 34 Lakeman’s Lane list Asa Wade as a previous owner, with a pasture and barn, but no residence at that location. Asa Wade was a member of the extensive Wade family on County Rd., a descendant of Nathaniel Wade, the Revolutionary soldier whose house also stands at the corner of County and Ward Streets. He was during part of his life a resident of Cambridge, but is buried at the Old South Cemetery across from his County Road house.