The Baker-Newman house at 14 East St. was built c 1725 and is an early 2nd Period 2-story, end gable half house with a Beverly jog.
John Baker owned, by grant, from the Cobbet property to the corner of Spring St. John Baker Jr. inherited this property from his father in 1727, and probably built the house at about that time. Baker sold eight acres with buildings, largely land on the hillside, to Nathaniel Jones Jr., May 3, 1742 (105: 57). Jones sold the property to George Newman Jr., a weaver. In the early 18th Century, George Newman and many other men were employed in making fine cloth for men’s wear, after which it went to the clothier to be dyed and finished. His son apparently continued the business.
This house is protected by a preservation covenant between the owners, the town of Ipswich and the Ipswich Historical Commission. Protected elements include:
- Front and side facades, including Beverly jog
- Window frames and front door
- Wide pine board floors
- Major frame members