Structural evidence, including the integral lean-to indicates that the house at 115 High Street in Ipswich was built about 1725. It displays a few late 1st period but primarily early Georgian architectural elements. This house was restored in the 20th Century by Phil Ross, who added the pilastered chimney and Connecticut River Valley – type doorframe with its broken scroll pediment. The massive chimney stack rests on framing, which indicates the house ws probably moved slightly from its original location when the railroad bridge was constructed in the early 20th Century.
This lot was first owned by Daniel Bosworth, a cowherd. The house of Daniel Bosworth was the only dwelling on this side of the road for nearly a century. His widow, Abigail, sold the dwelling in 1702 to William Baker (16:61). Baker probably built the present dwelling. In the early – mid 18th century a guild of hatters all lived on High Street in Ipswich, including Samuel Baker and Richard Sutton.
“The wedge shaped lot between the Rowley road and the road to Muddy river was owned in 1653 by Moses Pengry and subsequently by Haniel Bosworth, the cowherd, and here he dwelt. Every morning in Summer, he rose before the sun, and having received the herd of cows at Mr. Paine’s, now Dodge’s Corner, he and his helpers drove the herd with sounding horn and clanging bells up High street and out into the great Cow Commons, where they watched them all day, and at sunset, brought them home again. His two daughters presumed to wear finery beyond their station in life and were summoned to court in 1675.
“The widow Abigail Bosworth sold her dwelling and about an acre of land to William Baker, Aug. 3, 1702 (16:61) , and at that date, the sharp end of the wedge was owned by Richard Sutton. John Baker, son of William, succeeded in the ownership, but the Sutton family gained possession and Ebenezer Sutton sold the lot and buildings, measuring about two acres, to Jeremiah Day, Dec. 27, 1794 (243: 3). William Gould bought the property, July 10, 1826 (242:64) and sold half the house and part of the land to Timothy Ross, July 13, 1832, who acquired the remainder from Joseph Wait, Dec. 3, 1838 (310:113).
“When the Eastern Railroad was built in 1840, Mr. Ross was building a new house on the opposite side of the street still known as the “Ross house,” and conveyed part of his land to the Railroad Co. June 20, 1840 (320:27). He sold his former dwelling to Ebenezer Kimball, June 30, 1840 (320:59), and it came through several owners to Asa Lord, April 22, 1880 (1036:108), whose son, Thomas H. Lord, inherited. The building of the bridge over the railroad, with the elevation of the highway, has obliterated the original house lots, and occasioned the removal of several of the dwellings from their original locations.”