The Benjamin Grant House at 47 County Street in Ipswich was built in 1735, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It is 2 1/2 story end-gable house with a one room deep front section and a rear lean-to. The front of the house is slightly asymmetrical, suggesting that it might have been originally built as a “half house” with the large chimney at the end, and the other half added later, as was common.

benjamin_grant_signBenjamin Grant was born in 1701 in Ipswich to Robert and Mary Grant, who had emigrated to Ipswich from England. Benjamin married Anne Perkins in 1722. Grant, a corporal, was killed in the French and Indian War in 1756. Joseph Ross bought the house in 1784, and it remained in his family until the mid-20th century.

Much of the original finish remains visible in the house and it is likely that more survives hidden behind the walls. One chamber chimney wall has an unusual combination of feather-edge panelling at the sides and raised field panelling over the fireplace. The central chimney was rebuilt above the roof level in 1978.

The Benjamin Grant house was purchased by Stephen and Catherine Green in 1981, who initiated a two year project to restore the home to its original character.

This house is protected by a Preservation Agreement between the owners, the Town of Ipswich and the Historical Commission.  Protected elements include:

  • Front and side facades
  • Center brick chimney and the original fabric of the four attached fireplaces
  • Wide pine board floors throughout the house
  • Two two-panel doors, vertical feather-edged sheathing, bolection moulding around the fireplaces and mantle
  • horizontal panel above the second floor fireplace
  • Major members of the frame
Benjamin Grant House in the early 1900’s
photo from Ipswich by William Varrell
The Benjamin Grant house before it was restored
The Benjamin Grant house before it was restored

View  MACRIS details