6 Meetinghouse Green, the Capt. Israel Pulcifer house was rebuilt in 1812 on the foundation of his existing house which had burned. On the night of June 9, 1811 the house took fire and was burned with most of its contents. A boy, Abraham Burnham (who died at a good old age) was sleeping in the house and forgotten until the last moment.
Captain Pulcifer proceeded at once to rebuild and made request that his line might be extended into the Green ten feet. In view of the great loss he had suffered the town granted the request. Originally a hip-roof Federal style house, restoration in the 1870’s added a Second Empire mansard roof. During the 1960’s the house was divided into apartments. The present owners returned it to a single-family residence in 1996. Miraculously, all original woodwork, wainscoting, molding, ornamental trim, a Samuel McIntire inspired carved mantle and Vermont slate roof all survived these changes and have been renovated to their original condition