The Central Street Victorian neighborhood
Wetlands surrounding Farley Brook into the 19th Century, superimposed on a current day map.
In the first two centuries after Ipswich was settled, much of the land between Washington and High Streets was a wetland with Farley’s Brook running through it. After the railroad came to Ipswich in 1839, the center of commerce moved from North Main Street to Market Street, and marked the beginning of the Industrial Revolution in which the population of Ipswich swelled as immigrants came to work in the mills. Worker housing was constructed in Pole Alley and former farmland creating the Mount Pleasant neighborhood, and are recognized in the National Register of Historic Places, along with High St., the East End, the South Green and Meeting House Green.
In the 1872 Ipswich map, Central Street had just been constructed. Manning High School opened two years later, and stores began to be constructed. Ipswich Town Reports during the second half of the 19th Century show payments for hauling gravel from the now-depleted gravel pits near Washington St. and Topsfield Rd. The Town experienced a building boom, and by 1884, the Victorian neighborhoods that line Central, Hammatt, Manning, Mineral, Brown, Cottage and Liberty Streets had been created. This distinctive Ipswich neighborhood is surrounded by houses and streets that have been deemed historic, but has not yet received the recognition that it deserves.
The 1910 Ipswich map shows how the neighborhood continued to fill in during the late 19th Century.
Houses & buildings in the Farley Brook neighborhood
107 Central Street, the Collins house (c 1880) - This rambling double house is trimmed with characteristic Queen Anne finery. The entrance porches are decorated with turned posts, balusters, and spindle screens. Elaborate rising sun motifs in both gables, eave brackets, and staggered butt shingles in the bays complete the design. 108 Central Street, the George W. Baker house (1872) - 108 Central Street is one of three identical houses along this stretch of Central Street. George W. Baker, who served in the Civil War from February, 1962 until August, 1865 occupied the house after its construction. 2 Central Street, the Tyler Building (1906) - The Tyler Building, was the last commercial block on Central Street to be constructed after the 1894 Central Street fire. It was the home of Tyler's Department Store and Quint's Drugs. 33 Central Street, Memorial Hall (1921) - In 1921 the Memorial Building was built in memory of Ipswich Veterans. The long stairs from Central Street were difficult. The town sold the building to a non-profit corporation in 2003 and the building was renovated into affordable elderly housing. 38 Central Street, the Measures building (c 1900) - Austin Measures built this after the Central Street fire of 1894. Measures' Candy Shop was a long-lasting institution that began in a small small building on North Main Street. The building was taken down in 1904 to construct the Colonial Building, and he reopened in this Central Street location. 83 Central Street, the International House (1866) - In 1866 the International House was built by the Eastern Railroad beside the Ipswich Depot. It was moved in 1882 to make room for a new depot. It continued to be operated as a hotel, and In the 1970's and 80's was known as the House of Hinlin. 87 Central Street (c 1890) - The 1910 Ipswich map shows the owner of the house at 87 Central Street as"Misses Peatsfield." The house is almost identical in construction to the house at 89 Central Street, which is shown in the 1884 Ipswich map.
Brown Square and Granite Streets
2 Brewery Place (Brown Square) Ipswich Ale Brewery (c 1900) - The Burke Shoe Heel factory burned on June 19, 1933, but this wing survived the fire, and is today the Ipswich Ale Brewery. It was the home of Saffron Brothers, the exclusive suppliers of clams to the Howard Johnson chain for 32 years. 10 Brown Square, Tedfords Lumber (est. 1946) - Tedford's Lumber on Brown Square got its start in 1946 when James Tedford Sr. and Bill Martin, just back from the Navy, took a portable sawmill into the woods to cut timber. The next year they decided to open a lumber yard on Brown Square. 19 Brown Square (1903) - Harold Bowen wrote that this building was constructed from bricks that were saved from where the parking lot is now for the Ipswich Inn opposite N. Main st.
Brown and Cottage Streets
8 Brown Street, Timothy Carey house (1890) - The house is typical of the Liberty/Brown/Mineral/Washington Street “folk victorian” homes built at the end of the 19th Century, often from plans available through architectural magazines. The style in Ipswich was generally L-shaped with a porch and brackets under the gable, and mass-produced prefabricated trim. 10 Brown Street, Essex Hosiery Company worker housing (c 1900) - Several homes on this street were built by the short-lived Essex Hosiery Company to house their employees. The house is typical of the vernacular Victorian "gable with ell" homes built at the end of the 19th Century on Brown and Mineral Streets. 12 Brown St. (c 1900) - Several homes on this street were built by the short-lived Essex Hosiery Company to house their employees. The house is typical of the vernacular Victorian "gable with ell" homes built at the end of the 19th Century on Brown, Cottage and Mineral Streets. 14 Brown St. (c 1910) - Several homes on this street were built by the short-lived Essex Hosiery Company to house their employees. The house is typical of the vernacular Victorian "gable with ell" homes built at the end of the 19th Century on Brown, Cottage and Mineral Streets. 16 Brown St., the Leno house (1890) - Several homes on this street were built by the short-lived Essex Hosiery Company to house their employees. The house is typical of the vernacular Victorian "gable with ell" homes built at the end of the 19th Century on Brown, Cottage and Mineral Streets.
10 Liberty St. (c 1900) - The house at 10 Center Street is not in the 1884 Ipswich map, but appears in the 1910 Ipswich map under the name "C. Brown." 11 Liberty Street, the Levi Howe house (c 1870) - The descendants of Levi L. Howe, a farmer, owned this Gothic Revival cottage until 1953. Ken Savoie restored its appearance, and was the winner of the 1992 Mary Conley Award for historic preservation. 12 Liberty St. (c 1890) - The earliest Identified owner is Charles E. Brown, proprietor who owned the house by 1910. Brown and his son, Walter 6. Brown, operated a brick manufactory and contracting company. 13 Liberty St. - The 1910 Ipswich map shows the owner of the house at 13 Liberty St. as D. A. Roberts. 15 Liberty St. (c 1870) - The earliest identified owner is C.W. Davis who owned the house by 1872. By 1884 the house had been sold to John W. Russell, a freight agent, who continued to own the house into the 1920’s. 18 Liberty St. (1885) - The houses at #16 and # 18 Liberty Street were built between 1884 and 1887 by John A. Brown, a brick manufacturer and lumber dealer, probably in association with C.E. Brown & Son. 6 Liberty St. (c. 1890) - A house at 6 Liberty St. is shown in the 1893 Birdseye map and the 1910 Ipswich map, the owner is shown as "C. Caldwell." The modestly Italianate "Gable and Ell" form confirm the architectural period. 9 Liberty St. (c. 1880) - This house first appears in the 1884 Ipswich map, with the owner shown as "Mrs. Foster." It is also shown in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye Map, but not in the 1872 map. The owner in the 1910 Ipswich map is T. H. Lord. Liberty Street - In the late 19th Century Washington Street was extended to Linebrook Road, and Liberty Street became its own street. Its houses date to 1850-1910.
10 Manning Street, the G. Haskell house (circa 1890) - 10 Manning Street, the G. Haskell house (circa 1890)
Like most of the houses on Manning Street, this house first appears in the 1893 Birdseye map of Ipswich. In the 1910 Ipswich map the owner is G. Haskell. 13 Manning St., the Fields house, (c. 1900) - 13 Manning St., is owned by “Mrs. Fields” in the 1910 map. The town assessors database gives the date of construction as 1870. However, the 1884 Ipswich map shows no houses yet constructed on the street, which had not even been added in the 1872 map. 14 Manning Street (c 1915) - The house at 14 Manning Street does not appear in the 1910 Ipswich map, but based on the architectural characteristics in common with other houses on the street is presumed to have been constructed shortly thereafter. 16 Manning St. (c 1900) - 16 Manning St., circa 1900. G. A. Lord owned this house, another one house next door and one on High St. 17 Manning Street, the Candlewood School (1856) - Records indicate that the 1856 schoolhouse on Candlewood Road was moved to this location and enlarged in 1905 to relieve overcrowding in the original Winthrop School. . The form of construction predates the Victorian style of the other houses on the street. 18-20 Manning Street (1902) - 18-20 Manning St. is believed to have been constructed in 1902 and was owned by G. A. Lord in the 1910 Ipswich map. A different structure is shown in the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye Map. 21 Manning Street - The date of construction for this house is uncertain. The Ipswich assessors database shows the date of construction as 1990. The 1893 Ipswich birdseye map and 1910 map shows show a utilitarian structure at this location, which may have been converted or a new house placed on an older foundation. 26 Manning Street, the Sullivan house (1927) - The 17th Century Caleb Lord house on the corner of High and Manning Streets was removed in 1927 and was replaced by the home of Bernard Sullivan. This is a modified form of the "American foursquare" house of the 1920's and 30's. Manning Street, a Victorian neighborhood - Central Street was laid out in 1872, and Manning Street in 1882. Manning Street first appears in the 1884 Ipswich map, newly created, with no houses yet. The 1910 Ipswich map shows all of the houses now on the street, and Warren Street has been extended from North Main to Manning Street.
14 Mineral Street (c 1915) - The house at 14 Mineral Street does not appear on the 1910 Ipswich map but was probably constructed or moved to this location soon after. 16 Mineral Street, Wise Saddle Shop (1801) - Jabez Farley sold this lot to Joseph and John Wise in 1801, and they probably built their small dwelling shortly thereafter. As late as 1832, their house was the only structure on Mineral Street. 19 Mineral Street (1856) - In 1856, Mary Lord Baker, widow of Stephen W. Baker transferred 1 1/2 acres including this lot to Mary Philbrook. The Philbrook family constructed a house on the property, which appears in the 1872 Ipswich map. 22 Mineral Street, the Ephraim Harris House (1696, alt. 1835) - The earliest sections of this house were built by Daniel Warner in 1696 on Market Street. In 1835, Ephraim Harris, builder, was commissioned by Capt. Robert Kimball to build a new house on the lot. Harris removed a portion of the Warner house to his own land at the corner of Central and Mineral Streets, and enlarged it. 26 Mineral Street (c 1870) - In the 1872 map, this house and the house at 22 Mineral Street are owned by Ephraim Harris, but only the latter appears in the 1856 map. By 1910 both houses were owned by Mrs. A. Spiller. 28 Mineral Street (c 1880) - The house at 28 Mineral St. is shown in the 1884 Ipswich map and the 1893 Ipswich Birdseye Map. The owner's name is shown as "Miss Moore. 3 Mineral Street, the Charles H. Baker house (c 1870) - The house at 3 Mineral Street was constructed between publications of the 1856 and 1872 Ipswich maps. The earliest owner to be identified is Charles H. Baker who owned the house by 1884. Baker is listed is town directories as a "flagman", possibly for the local branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad. 31 Mineral Street (c 1870) - This house first appears in the 1872 Ipswich map. The first owner is shown as "Caldwell." "Gable and Wing" houses with Italianate Victorian woodwork are found throughout Ipswich dating to the period from 1860-1880. 39 Mineral Street (c 1920) - The building at this location in the 1910 Ipswich map was a two story barn or storage building belonging to the Smith family. It is unclear if this is the same structure converted into a residence.
12 Washington Street, the Patrick Riley house (1880) - This house was built between 1872 and 1884 for Patrick and Ellen Riley. Riley was a farmer and he and his wife owned this house and the one at #16. By 1924 this house was occupied by Maurice and Mary Blaquiere. 18 Washington Street, Sanford Peatfield House (1860) - This house was built for Sanford and Mary Peatfield around 1860. Sanford and James Peatfield built a brick mill on Washington Street and continued making woolen underwear until about 1877. The factory became the Hayes Hotel, and burned in the 20th Century. 31 Washington St., the Laffy – Chapman – Morrill house (c 1880) - This house was built between 1872 and 1884. By 1884 it was owned by Michael Laffy; Laffy is listed in town directories as a laborer. By 1910 the house was owned by Walter Chapman, a farmer who lived on Pineswamp Road and presumably rented this house. In 1916 the house was occupied by Euclid A. and Charolette B. Morrill. In 1924 it was occupied by Insurance agent William F. Connor and his wife Mary. 32 Washington Street, the Frederick Bray – Daniel Nourse House (c 1870) - The first owner of this house, built around 1865 was Frederick Bray, a Civil War veteran. By 1884 it was owned by Daniel P. and Sarah Nourse. Nourse died by 1888 and the house was sold. By 1916 it was occupied by Dennis and Nora Monahan. Dennis is listed in town directories as a mason. 37 Washington Street, the Brown-Grossman-Doucette house (1884) - This house was built by 1884 by George V. Brown, one of several houses he built on a large parcel. Brown operated a large hay & grain business nearby at Brown Square and lived on Liberty Street. In 1916 this house was occupied by Charles (& Mary) Grossman and Denis (& Maggie) Doucette. 41 Washington Street, the George Brown house (1883) - John A. Brown sold this lot to George B. Brown in 1883 and he built a house shortly thereafter. Brown’s house is one of the few Stick Style Victorian homes in Ipswich. Brown built a grist mill, also located on Washington St., in 1881. He started with a single team and by 1888 employed 6 men. Brown was the first in the area to install a roller mill, which removed all foreign iron substances from the grain before it entered the mill 46 Washington Street, the James S. Marble- James Peatfield house (1860) - This two-family house was came into the possession of Sanford and James Peatfield in 1859. James Peatfield came to America in 1827. He built one of the first lace machines in this country, and invented a warp machine, after which he began manufacturing woolen underwear. Together with his brother, Sanford, Peatfield built a brick mill on Washington Street. 59 Washington Street, the Charles W. Bamford house (C 1887) - This house was built between 1884 and 1888 for Charles W. Bamford, who was at various times in his career the Town Clerk, Treasurer, and Justice of the Peace. The elaborative cornices and multiple colors of paint are a mix of Italianate and Queen Anne Victorian. 78 Washington Street, the Daniel Haskell House (1835) - The Federal trim and substantial chimneys identify this house as perhaps the earliest of the story-and-one-third 19th century cottages on Linebrook. It is uncertain which Daniel Haskell Sr. or Jr.was the owner. Records show that both died of dementia.