Manning Dodge sold a part of his lot fronting on Annable’s Lane (Summer Streeet) to Daniel Glazier on July 20, 1835 (281: 287). No buildings are mentioned in the deed, and it is assumed that Glazier built his house here soon thereafter, by 1840. He married Lucy Baker in 1792. While many of the Glaziers went to sea (notably Captain Benjamin Glazier), a payment to Daniel Glazier for “work on railings” suggests that he may have been a blacksmith or welder. The barn at the rear of the property may date to Glazier’s ownership but requires further research.
There are many people named “Glasier” buried in the Old North Burying Ground, and the only “Glazier” is in the Glasier section of the cemetery, suggesting that the spelling of the family name may have changed. However, only the family name “Glazier” appears in our history, “Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.”
Sources and further reading