The house at 392 Linebrook Rd. in Ipswich was constructed in 1810, and is located on land granted to James Howe, Sr. in 1650. Emerson Howe (b. 1813, d. 1885) inherited the building from his father, Mark, and lived here throughout his life.
Emerson Howe, a farmer and member of the Linebrook Militia, was described as “one of out best citizens, intelligent, careful, unpretending, positive.” Declining to be a deacon, he was clerk of the Linebrook Church for 36 years and a member of the choir and Sunday School.
The house incorporates Second Period, Federal and Greek Revival features, and includes some reused First Period building materials. There is a typical Second Period floor plan (central chimney, 2-room-deep plan). The left-hand front (north) room has Federal finishes including a mantelpiece with frieze which curves medially toward the top. The stair hall and right-hand front rooms (upstairs and downstairs) have Greek Revival finishes including two mantelpieces derived from Asher Benjamin’s Practice of Architecture of 1833.
Re-used First Period materials are incorporated into the house. Among the earlier features is the vertical, feather-edged panelling in the rear room. The cellar framing includes several reused First Period timbers with bevel chamfers and one with a lamb’s tongue stop. In the attic whitewashed First Period floorboards (with evidence of joists 20 inches on center) are reused as sheathing. On the exterior of the house there is a well-executed Greek Revival frontispiece and a cove molding at the eave.
A barn on the property has 18th century or early 19th century framing characteristics.
Source: MACRIS listing