The Heard-Lakeman House at 2 Turkey Rd. in Ipswich, built in 1776, is one of the original 14 houses with Historical Committee covenants. The book “Something to Preserve” describes it as “a typical center-chimney dwelling of the mid-eighteenth century.” The interior contains fine raised-field paneling and a handsome Georgian stairway with turned balustrade. A very unusual feature is the great arched chimney base, over eleven feet in length, certainly one of the largest in Essex County. The length of the base supports two fireplaces on each side of the great chimney and is in itself an unusual feature.”
Nathaniel and John Heard bought this land in 1776 and built the present house for Nathaniel, a cordwainer. Nathaniel sold the house to Richard Lakeman III in 1795 and it is still remembered as the Lakeman house. The Lakemans were a seafaring family. They owned a fishing fleet and traded with the West Indies. This house is subject to preservation easements, under terms of a preservation agreement between the owner and the Ipswich Historical Commission. Together with the Burnham-Patch House (Form #166), Heard-Lakeman occupies a strategic location,, anchoring the south end of Turkey Shore Rd., an ancient riverside way. IPS.167
The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. The front stairway is shown below.
This house is protected by a preservation agreement by the owners. Protected elements include:
- The exterior of the dwelling facing Turkey Shore and Poplar St.
- Central frame including primary and secondary members
- Central chimney
- Wooden architectural elements including the stairway, paneling, doors and molded detail in the front hall
- Wooden architectural elements including mantelpieces, doors and other molded details on the inner walls of the first floor four rooms.
- View this house at the MACRIS site