Featured: Owners of the Phillip Call house on High Street were the first to establish a preservation agreement with the Town of Ipswich.
Since 1969 the Ipswich Historical Commission has been responsible for a voluntary program of binding Preservation Agreements between the Commission and homeowners to preserve the structure’s architecturally significant features. Under the voluntary Agreement’s provisions, the homeowner agrees not to permit any alterations to the designated interior or exterior features of his home agreed upon in the “covenant.” The contracts are between the town of Ipswich, owners and future owners until the year 2100. Current owners of historical properties may contact the Ipswich Historical commission at firstname.lastname@example.org about creating such an agreement.
Something To Preserve was published by the Ipswich Historical Commission in 1975 and is a report on historic preservation by the acquisition of protective agreements on buildings in Ipswich, Massachusetts. This important book described the process by which the town of Ipswich began to preserve at-risk historic homes after the town rejected efforts to set up a legal historic district.
Preservation restrictions are drawn up in accordance with MGL Chapter 184, Sections 31-33. Ipswich has the largest preservation restriction program in the Commonwealth with 36 properties protected in this fashion, primarily First Period buildings.
The following houses have covenants (preservation agreements) with the Ipswich Historical Commission
- John Heard Mansion (home of the Ipswich Historical Society)
- Col Nathaniel Wade House,78 County Rd.
- Tilton-Smith House, 164 Argilla Rd.
- Benjamin Grant House, 47 County Street
- Heard-Lakeman House, 2 Turkey Shore Rd.
- Burnham-Patch House, 1 Turkey Shore Rd.
- Preston-Foster House, 6 Water St.
- Polly Dole House, 26 East St. (1687 – 1710)
- Perkins-Hodgkins House 80 East St.(b.1700),
- Wainwright -Treadwell House, 62 East St.(b. 1727)
- Dennis House,7 County St.(b. 1670, alt. 1750)
- Captain Richard Rogers House,64 North Main St.(b.1728)
- John Gaines House, 3 High St.(b.1725)
- Philip Call House,26 High St.(b. 1659)
- Waldo-Caldwell House,33 High St.(b. 1660)
- Merchant-Choate House,97-99 High St.(B. 1650)
- Jeremiah (Benjamin) Kinsman House (b.1756), 59 Candlewood Road
- Dennis – Dodge House, 10 County St. (b. 1740-50),
- The Captain Matthew Perkins House (b. 1701-9), 8 East Street
- Baker-Newman House (b. 1725)
- Dodge House (b. 1725), 18 East Street
- Lakeman-Johnson House (b. 1835), 16 East Street
- Rev. Nathaniel Rogers House (b. 1727), 1 High Street
- Joseph Willcomb House, 13 High Street (b. 1668)
- Lord-Baker House (b. 1720), 37 High Street
- Joseph Fowler House (b. 1725-75)100 High Street
- John Kimball House (b. 1715), 104 High Street.
- John Kendrick House (1665, 3 Hovey Street)
- Elizabeth Howe Perley House, 419 Linebrook Rd.
- Old Post Office, 38 N. Main (Ipswich Heritage Trust)
- Col. John Appleton House (b. 1707), 2 North Main Street
- Thomas Manning / Old Parsonage, (b. 1799), 19 North Main Street
- Dr. John Manning House (1769), 36 North Main Street
- Nathaniel Treadwell – Hale House (b. 1769-99), 52 North Main Street
- Day-Dodge House (b. 1737), 57 North Main Street
- Samuel Dutch House (b. 1723), 69 South Main Street
- Col. John Baker House (b. 1761), South Village Green
- Benjamin Kimball House (b. 1721, alt. 1803), 3 Summer Street
- Hall – Haskell House, 36 S. Main St., (Town of Ipswich Visitor Center)
- Linebrook Parish Church, 391 Linebrook Rd. (1848)
- Probate Court – Odd Fellows building, 29 North Main Street (Ipswich Heritage Trust)
- Rev. Nathaniel Rogers House, 1 High Street (1727)
- Old Town Hall, S. Main St.
- Stephen Boardman house, 67 Turkey Shore Rd.
Preservation agreements in Ipswich with other organizations
- Appleton Farms (Trustees of Reservations) The oldest continually operating farm in North America.
- Isaac Goodale House, 153 Argilla Rd. (1668)
- Emerson – Howard House, 41 Turkey Shore Road (1640) (SPNEA Historic New England)
- Paine House and Greenwood Farm, Jeffreys Neck Road, (Trustees of Reservations)
- The Proctor Estate, County Road (Ipswich Great Estates Bylaw) The mansion and outbuildings were built in 1908 for the Proctor family where they lived until the 1940′s. Now owned by New England Biolabs and is protected under the Great Estates Bylaw
- Charles Searle Estate, Jeffreys Neck Road (Ipswich Great Estates Bylaw) now owned by the Sisters of Notre Dame. Although the house is abandoned and the
exterior is in bad repair, it is subject to the Great Estates Bylaw
- Turner Hill, Topsfield Road (Ipswich Great Estates Bylaw). Built by William G. Rantoul in 1900, it was the home, farm and lands of importer and industrialist Charles N. Rice. Now owned by Turner Hill Associates. Turner Hill is subject to the Great Estates Bylaw.
- The Whipple House, 1 South Village Green (Ipswich Museum)
3 Summer Street, the Benjamin Kimball house (c 1720, alt. 1803) - The Benjamin Kimball House dates to about 1720 and was a 2 room cape moved to this location in 1803 and expanded at that time. The Benjamin Kimball house is late first period but has been altered with Georgian and Federal influences. The walls and roof are constructed of huge beams with mortise and tenon joinery, and the first floor outside corners have gunstock posts, evidence that they once supported the roof. 33 High Street, the Waldo-Caldwell house (1660) - In 1654, Cornelius Waldo sold to John Caldwell for £26 the house and land he bought of Richard Betts. Caldwell removed the old house and built the present house as a two-over-two-room, central chimney plan house with massive summer beams, a huge fireplace, and heavy chamfered frame, a very substantial house of the 1660’s. 7 County Street, the Thomas Dennis House (1663) - The house at 7 County Street dates to two periods. Shoreborne Wilson, a cooper, built a house and a cooper’s shop on this site about 1660. Thomas Dennis bought the property in 1663. The rear ell of the present house dates from that period,
The 5-bay front section of the house dates to the 1750s. Dennis was a master carver and joiner. 26 High Street, the Philip Call house (1659) - This 2-story timber-frame First Period house was built by cordwainer Philip Call about 1659, enlarged around 1725. In 1967, the owners uncovered a chamfered 17th century summer beam and field paneling behind Victorian-era walls. The house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. 104 High Street, the John Kimball house (1715) - This is is one of three John Kimball houses along High Street, two said to have been built by the father, the third by the son. The 1st period house has a chamfered summer beam and wide plank tongue and groove sheathing. This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission. 62 East Street, the Treadwell-Wainwright House (1727) - Capt. John Wainwright bought 3 1/2 acres from Nathaniel Treadwell in 1726 (47:144) and built this fine Georgian mansion.The raised-field paneling and feather-edge sheathing found throughout the house are key features. 103 High Street, the Merchant – Choate house (1670) - The building dates to approximately 1670, but the right half may contain timbers from a previous structure on this site which was built in 1639. That simple story and a half cottage is believed to have been built by William Merchant who arrived in Ipswich with John Winthrop and the first settlers. The section on the left was added in 1672. 6 Water Street, the Preston – Foster house (1690) - Ipswich deeds list the transfer of a house at this location from Roger Preston to Reginald Foster in 1657, but the date of construction is believed to be about 1690, based on the timber-frame construction. Small-beaded chamfering in the second-story framing is typical of about 1730.
Other preservation agreements
38 North Main Street, the Old Post Office (1763) - The Old Post Office at 38 North Main Street was built in 1763 and is part of the historic Dr. John Manning property. Probably originally built as a barn or warehouse, it became the post office in 1790.
This building also served as the shop of Daniel Rogers, a master gold and silversmith who later moved to Newport RI. 1 South Green, the Whipple House (1677) - The oldest part of the house dates to 1677 when Captain John Whipple constructed a townhouse near the center of Ipswich. The house had fallen into serious disrepair in the early 20th Century but was saved from destruction, moved through town and over the Choate bridge to its current location on South Green, and restored to its 1683 appearance. The original frame of oak, chestnut, and tamarack is largely intact.
67 Turkey Shore Road, the Stephen Boardman house (1720) - This house is named for Stephen Boardman, the son of Thomas Boardman and Sarah Langley. He and his wife Elizabeth Cogswes moved to Stratham, NH where he made a name for himself as a vocal supporter of the American revolution.The wide pine board floors in the house are original, and 4 restored fireplaces share a central chimney. 69 S. Main Street, the Samuel Dutch house (b 1733) - Samuel Dutch bought this land in 1723 and built this house by 1733. The main (front) portion of the house facing the street appears to have been modified and enlarged with a third floor and a hip roof during in the early 19th Century. The rear wing has a chamfered summer beam, suggesting that it was an older house already on the lot, was moved to this location, or that framing from an older house was used in the addition. 100 High Street, the Joseph Fowler house (1720 – 1756) - Joseph Fowler, a carpenter bought the lot in 1720. Records indicate that a house may have existed before Fowler obtained it. The house has a 1-1/2 story, gambrel roof with a central chimney and exposed “gunstock” posts. 37 High Street, Lord – Baker House (1720) - The house is believed to have been built by Robert Lord III in 1720. The property continued in the Lord family until 1775, when Samuel Baker, felt-maker and hatter, purchased it. This early 2nd period house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission. 18 East Street, the Dodge house (1725) - The Dodge House at 18 East St. was built in 1725 and is a 2nd Period 2-story house protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the town of Ipswich. 14 East Street, the Baker – Newman house (1725) - John Baker was granted a section of the land extending down East Street to Spring Street, originally granted to Rev. Cobbet. His son John Baker Jr. sold eight acres with buildings including land on the hillside to Nathaniel Jones Jr. in 1742.
Jones sold the northwest end of the property to George Newman Jr., a weaver. 10 County Street, the Dennis – Dodge House (1740) - The 1740 Dennis-Dodge house was owned by Captain John Dennis, whose father Thomas Dennis was a renowned woodworker and owned a home across the street. A succession of Dennis family members retained this property.Captain Ignatius Dodge (1816 - 1901) inherited the house. In the early 1800's, Eunice Hale maintained a school in the building. 3 High Street, the John Gaines house (1725) - The John Gaines house at 3 High St. is a 1725 building remodeled in 1806 with Federal trim. The Gaines family in Ipswich are famous for the chairs they produced. The home also served for over one hundred years as the Episcopal rectory.This house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. 1 High Street, the Nathaniel Rogers Old Manse (1727) - The house was constructed for the Rev. Nathaniel Rogers in 1727 by Ipswich cabinet-maker, Capt. Abraham Knowlton. In the early 1900's the building was known as "ye Olde Burnham Inn". This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. 36 North Main Street, the John Manning house (1769) - This house was built in 1769 by Doctor John Manning. It has one of the first preservation agreements in Ipswich, created by the Ipswich Heritage Trust. Dr. Manning was also an inventor and built an unsuccessful wind-driven woolen mill on the site of the present Caldwell Block next to the Choate Bridge. His second mill at the Willowdale Dam was more successful. 47 County Street, the Benjamin Grant house (1723) - The Benjamin Grant House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.The front of the house is slightly asymmetrical, suggesting that it might have been originally built as a half house. Benjamin Grant was born in 1701 in Ipswich to Robert and Mary Grant, who had emigrated to Ipswich from England. Benjamin married Anne Perkins in 1722, and was killed in the French and Indian War in 1756. 8 East Street, the Captain Matthew Perkins house (1701) - The Captain Matthew Perkins House at 8 East St. in Ipswich was the winner of the 1991 Mary Conley Award. The land on which the house sits was at one time part of an orchard lot and was sold to Matthew Perkins, a weaver and soldier, by Major Francis Wainwright in 1701. The 1st period 2-story structure has post-medieval overhangs front and side. 2 North Main Street, the John Appleton house (1707) - Colonel John Appleton built this house in 1707. In 1962 the Appleton House was purchased by Exxon, which intended to build a gas station on the site. The Ipswich Heritage Trust was formed to save the house, the first major preservation action in Ipswich.