The Isaac Stanwood House at 18 Green Street was built in 1812 by Deacon Isaac Stanwood, son of Captain Isaac Stanwood Sr., a Revolutionary War soldier. The house is Georgian in basic form but with Federal features.
From “A History of the Stanwood Family in America” we read the stories of the two Isaac Stanwoods.
Captain Isaac Stanwood
Captain Isaac Stanwood was born in Ipswich, May 2, 1755. On January 24, 1775, he was enrolled among the Ipswich minute-men, and marched as private in Captain Nathaniel Wade’s company, in the alarm of April 19, 1775, to Mystic; was ordered on the 20th to Salem, on the 21st to Ipswich, and thence to Cambridge. He remained in service until May 10, 1775.
Captain Stanwood married, February 26, 1778, Eunice Hodgkins, the daughter of John Hodgkins, of Ipswich. Captain Stanwood was a trader, and apparently had much to do with Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where his brother William was settled. On October 16, 1778, the provincial authorities gave order to the Maritime Office to “Clear out Isaac Stanwood for Ipswich, with 100 bushels of Corn.” He was blind before he died, with cataracts on both eyes, and his granddaughter Joanna remembers leading him about, probably with some grown person’s assistance. He lived in a house (The Andrew Burley house) which is still standing in 1898 on what is now Green Street, Ipswich, but was then Green Lane. Captain Stanwood was buried, with his wife, in the Ipswich burying-ground.
DIED DEC. 15. 1821 AT AGE 66
ALSO HIS WIFE EUNICE STANWOOD,
DIED FEB. 3, 1840 AT AGE 82″
Deacon Isaac Stanwood
The son of Isaac Stanwood, Deacon Isaac Stanwood, was born in Ipswich, September 21, 1783. On June 12, 1810, he married Joanna Caldwell. The Deacon was a builder and housewright by trade, and he built this house on Green Street, in which he and his wife lived all the rest of their lives. It was two doors off from the old Stanwood home (the Andrew Burley house) and nearer the river. Just over the river, on the Turkey Shore road, was Mrs. Joanna Stanwood’s birthplace, the old Emerson-Howard house, built in 1648. Captain Ebenezer Caldwell, her father, lived in it for thirty-two years, till his death, in 1821.
In his later years Deacon Stanwood was a great sufferer from tic-douloureux. One of his grandsons remembers well that sometimes when it came on during the morning prayer the Deacon would hold out until the pain was unbearable and then leave the room. His prayers were all alike on week-days, with a different one for Sundays. Mr. Stanwood was a most upright man, much respected by his fellow-citizens. A portrait in crayon, by G. D’Almaine, of Boston, which is reproduced here, was made in 1850; it was in the possession of Mrs. F. V. Tenney, who lived in the house which he built on Green Street. In the Ipswich burying-ground, not far up the hill, in a sunny spot, are the graves of Isaac Stanwood and his wife.