Records of the Ipswich and Massachusetts Historical Commissions indicate that the house at 316 Linebrook Rd. was built by John Peabody circa 1850.
The properties surrounding the John Peabody house on either side and across the street historically belonged to the Conant family.
- The 1832 Ipswich town map shows two Conant residences in this neighborhood, but not the John Peabody house.
- The 1856 and 1872 Ipswich town map show several homes of the Conant family concentrated on Linebrook Rd. between Old Right Road and the Newburyport Turnpike, including the J. Peabody house, with Chapman properties to the east.
A search at Ancestry.com provided the following information:
John Peabody was born in Topsfield, Massachusetts, USA on 23 Oct. 1811 to Thomas Peabody and Lydia Guilford. John married Eunice F. Conant, daughter of Joseph Conant and Ruth Guilford of Rowley. The couple had 2 children, Emery Sylvester Peabody (1836-1863) and Alonzo Proctor Peabody (1841-1858). The house is believed to have been John Peabody’s cobbler’s shop. Eunice passed away on June 8, 1887 and John Peabody passed away on January 7, 1889, both in Ipswich. They are buried at the Old Linebrook Cemetery.