On April 24, 2018, a demolition request was filed for the old Kozeneski farm house at 173 Linebrook Rd. The Kozeneski home is an rare local example of a late 19th or early 20th Century, single-family farm house in its original pastoral setting. The Ipswich Patriot Properties site lists the date of construction as approximately 1900. Members of the Historical Commission toured the building recently but did not find indications of earlier construction.
A house is shown on the 1872 Ipswich map at 173 Linebrook Road in Ipswich, owned by “J. H. Wiley.” In the 1910 Ipswich map the property is owned by the “heirs of A. Lummos” but it does not display a house or buildings.
Edward Kozeneski and John Baniewich together bought 2 properties (3 parcels) from James Sheppard in 1921, and then Baniewich sold his interest in the property to Kozeneski in 1924. The deeds at that time reference the eastern border of the property as being land “now or formerly of Abraham Lummus.” On the 1910 Atlas of the Towns of Topsfield, Ipswich, Essex, Hamilton and Wenham, Essex County, MA, there are 3 parcels labeled as “J. Shepherd.”
In 2018 plans have been submitted to turn the 56 acre Kozeneski farm into a new housing development.
Gavin Keenan wrote, ” Kozeneski’s was one of a number of working farms occupying the land between Linebrook Road and High Street. Fertile and irrigated by both Dow and Bull Brooks, this land has been tended by generations of Marini, Galicki, Kozeneski, Wegzyn and Barowy families, busily producing meat, poultry and produce to this day.” Read Last Roundup at the Lazy K-Ranch.