The Lathrop house at 1 Poplar Street is one of the two newer buildings in the South Green National Historic District, built in 1912. The construction style is “four square” with a front porch, dormers and bay windows.
This lot is part of the old “School Orchard”, the land bordered by County Road, Poplar Street, Argilla Road and Payne Street on which the town’s first grammar school was built. When in the 1800’s the school moved from the South Green to Winthrop School on Central Street, Wallace and Charles Lathrop purchased the land and the old school building as a storage facility for their well-established coal, ice and wood distribution business. As part of the deed arrangement, it was stipulated that no blacksmith, tinner, soap-boiler, tanner, wainwright or other such shop should be constructed in this area. The old school on Argilla Road was eventually taken down and this respectable Lathrop family home was constructed on the other side of the block.