The Lord – Sullivan -Haskell house at 56 Market Street is believed to have been built in 1847. Italianate detailing indicates that a major renovation was undertaken about 1870. The earliest owner to be identified is Mr. J. Lord who owned the house by 1872. By 1884 It had been sold to John J. Sullivan. Sullivan is listed is town directories as a machinist.
Thomas Franklin Waters wrote that “Captain John Lord made his last voyage as master of the ship Miles Standish to Calcutta sailing May 17, 1855. They were preparing for the return the following March. The ship was nearly ready for sea, passengers had sent their baggage, the Captain’s daughter who had accompanied him had come aboard, when Capt Lord sickened with the prevailing fever and died on April 21st, 1856. In 1847 he had built for his residence the dwelling near the depot recently owned by Mr John J. Sullivan.”
John J. Sullivan was an inventor. Among the patents he received were a button hole sewing machine in 1883, a thread-cutting attachment for sewing machines in 1903, and an improved hydrant in 1901. Sullivan was also the librarian for the Ipswich Historical Society in the same year.
By 1916 the house was owned by George and Katherine Haskell George Haskell was a bookeeper. By 1924 several different families are listed as living here, indicating that it had been converted to multi-family use. His Central Street store in the Wildes Block was destroyed in the great Central Street Fire on January 14, 1894.