From the Agawam Manual: History of the Ipswich Fire Department, published November, 1888:
In 1884, Edward W. Choate contracted with the town to build a firehouse for $1250.00 on Warren St., on land purchased from Ann Mitchell. The Warren engine was paid for 26, October 1884, and cost $1200.00. She was bought of Roxbury and was second hand, but nearly new. The town loaned her to her old Roxbury company on the occasion of the parade of the Boston Veteran Volunteer Firemen’s Association, 12 September 1887, and in the contest for the Globe prizes, she was third, throwing a stream 171 feet, 9 inches. The Warren has proved her efficiency on all occasions, and has firm, easy action.
William J. Barton identified this as the Barnicoat handtub in front of the first Warren engine house, rear of the larger Warren Engine house which housed Hose No. 1, and Masconnomet le France Steam fire engine.The town of Ipswich sold the property to William J. Barton, who purchased it to store the hand engine Torrent No. 3, which was bought from William G. Horton and the town of Ipswich. The town apparently stored the Barnicoat here before they sold it to a town in New Hampshire. The Barnicoat was a Hunneman tub, purchased from the city of Boston on February 27, 1862 for $425.
The present officers of the company are: Clerk, William T. Lewis; foreman, William H. Hills; first assistant foreman, Charles W. Canney; second assistant foreman, Oscar Little- field; standing committee, William H. Hills, William T. Lewis, L. H. Daniels, Charles H. Rollins, Oscar Littlefield; leading hosemen, Oscar Littlefield (foreman), John W.Newman, E. H. Damon, Charles H. Rollins, Thomas Baxter, Fred L. Falls, Frank Jewett, Edwin M. Poole. Henry Stevens, William G. Claxton; suction hosemen, Silas Crooker, S.J. Wakeham.
History of the Warren Company, from Town Reports, 1879-1926
- 1879: Warren Engine Co., fifty men, $312.50
- 1881: Warren Engine Co., service in part, $1018.25
- 1882: Article 16. To see what action the Town will take in regard to the building of a house for the use of Warren Engine and Mechanic Hose Companies.
- 1883: At the last annual town meeting, the selectmen were authorized to purchase a suitable lot for the building of an engine house for the Warren Engine Co. They have attended to that duty and have purchased of Mrs. Mitchell, a lot nearly opposite where the present house stands. They have also, by the direction of the town, built a large and substantial reservoir, at the meeting of East and Cross streets, near the store of L. E. Willcomb at the cost, (as will be seen by the report) of $663.91.
- 1883: Article 16. To see if the town will authorize the building of a new house for Warren Engine Co., and appropriate money for the same.
- 1884: Edward W. Choate contracted with the town to build a firehouse for $1250.00 on Warren St., on land purchased from Ann Mitchell.
- 1885: Art. 20. To see if the town will authorize the Selectmen to sell the old engine house (across Warren St.), formerly occupied by the Warren Engine Co.
- 1887: Warren Engine Co., 55 men $220. 00
- 1891: Number of men belonging to the Department :Warren, No. 1, 55 men.
Neptune, No. 2, 55 men.
Torrent, No. 3, 27 men.
Hook and Ladder, 20 men.
Total number of men, 16
- 1895: The Warren and Neptune Companies have been disbanded, owing to our water supply the hand engines were not needed. A new steamer has been purchased at an expense of $3200 and has proved itself to be as good as the best.
- 1896: Warren engine sold for $280.00
- 1907 The top floor of the Warren Street Firehouse was used as a school this year.
- 1910 The Warren Street firehouse was converted to a school to house two 7th grade classrooms.
- 1911: The Warren Street School was remodelled, proper entrance provided, a broad and safe stair-case built, and the building otherwise remodelled, so that the same makes a very comfortable and convenient school building.
- 1926: The Shatswell School is constructed on Green Street, consolidating several small schools, including Wainwright, Dennison, Cogswell, Spring Street and Warren Street schools. The Warren Street School is sold.