Francis Treadwell lived in the old Treadwell estate on East Street, and had two daughters, one of whom, Mary, married Oliver L. Sanborn. Deacon Francis Caldwell sold a lot measuring 61 ft. on the road and 290 ft. deep on Jeffreys Neck Road to Oliver L. Sanborn, October 25, 1854 who built this house in 1855.
In Caldwell’s deed, there is no mention of buildings (520:198). Sanborn sold the lot and buildings in 1889 for 1900 (1254:189). The leap in price can best be explained by the addition of buildings to the property. This house is a rare mid-19th century example of a “half-house,” usually associated with the 17th and 18th centuries.
- Essex County Registry of Deeds