The old Payne School sits at 1 Lords Square in Ipswich, between Linebrook Road and Liberty Street. In 1802, the North District decided to construct a schoolhouse with public subscription. Dr. Manning gave half the funds for its construction. The building was one story, and was the beginning of the Payne School in Lord Square.
Town Clerk Nathaniel Lord reported in 1815 that the North District (Payne School) had 115 students. In 1852, the second floor and other improvements were added to the Payne School. It was refurbished again in 1872. In 1891 it was moved from its previous location where the laundromat is now, and received extensive repairs. The tiny Linebrook School building was moved to the left of this building. Since then the little building was moved again and is now on Town Farm Road ad is the gate house to Highland Cemetery.
Payne School was last used for students in 1942. Since 1972 this building has served as the Ipswich school superintendent’s office. The architect is recorded at MACRIS as George Swan