7:00 PM, Wednesday, July 24- outdoors at the Ipswich Riverwalk and Wednesday, July 31 - indoors at the Dolan Performing Arts Center at Ipswich High School. The program includes a variety of music based on literary themes. Admission is free.
Ipswich Museum: “Goodnight, Captain White” through 8/24
Photo gallery-Many of these photos were digitally developed from original glass negatives taken by three early Ipswich photographers, Arthur Wesley Dow, George Dexter,and Edward L. Darling.
A slideshow trip through Ipswich-This slideshow begins at “Parting Paths,” the intersection of Essex Road (Rt. 133) and County Road (Rt. 1A). It first visits Crane Beach, then returns for a quick view of the landmarks in the South End, the East End, Jeffreys Neck, High Street, North main, Market Street, and […]
Ipswich, by Andrew Borsari-Ipswich: A Celebration of Light, Land, and Sea In Ipswich, A Celebration of Light, Land and Sea, Andrew borsari shares his photos of the town’s lush natural majesty with a collection of images that quiet the mind and lift the heart. One of the oldest communities in the United […]
The Town Wharf-The Ipswich Town Landing is one of several locations along the River where wharves were located over the centuries.
South Main Street-In March 1692 the Selectmen laid out twenty-three small lots and granted them "to as many individuals with the conditions that they not encumber the highway, make provision for drainage under the buildings, that each person provide paving four-foot wide all along before ye said buildings for the convenience of foot travelers, and erect posts to keep horses from spoiling the same.”
Arthur Wesley Dow-Ipswich artist Arthur Wesley Dow (1857 – 1922) was one of the town's most famous residents. During summer, Dow and his wife ran the Summer School of Art from the historic "Howard house" on Turkey Shore Road. The Ipswich Museum owns the largest collection of works by Arthur Wesley Dow.
Along the Ipswich River-Historic photos of the Ipswich River from original glass negatives taken by early Ipswich photographers Arthur Wesley Dow, George Dexter and Edward L. Darling.
Market Square-Featured image: Engraving of Market Square in Ipswich from John Warner Barber’s Historical collections: being a general collection of interesting facts, traditions, biographical sketches, anecdotes, etc. relating to the history and antiquities of every town in Massachusetts,” published in 1839
Market Street-Photos of Market St. from the present day back to the early days of photography. A few of the buildings are still standing.
Cape Ann photographs by Andrew Borsari-Photographer Andrew Borsari shows us why Cape Ann is cherished by its residents and envied by the rest of the world, and his books make wonderful presents. Ipswich: A Celebration of Light, Land, and Sea Rockport, Massachusetts: A Village by the Sea Cape Ann: Photographs by Andrew Borsari
George Dexter’s Ipswich-Perhaps the best-known early Ipswich Photographer was George Dexter (1862-1927). His photographs along with those of Edward Lee Darling (1874-1962) provide a wonderful visual history of the town. Thanks to Ipswich native Robert Cronin for sharing with me his collection of George Dexter glass plate negatives that have been […]
Photos from Ipswich-Many of these photos were digitally developed from original glass negatives taken by three early Ipswich photographers Arthur Wesley Dow, George Dexter, and Edward L. Darling.
Lords Square-Lords Square was known as Brewer’s Corner in early Ipswich. John Brewer was a town clerk and being on what was then the outskirts of town owned a large lot, which he divided into sections and sold. Brewer’s First Period home at 82 High Street was built in […]
Great Neck-Before the settlement of Ipswich was begun in 1633 by John Winthrop, William Jeffrey, who had come over in 1623, had purchased from the Indians a title to the glacial drumlin which bears his name. By 1639 the whole tract was set apart as a common pasture by the new town, and in 1666 the General Court gave Jeffrey five hundred acres of land elsewhere. After the early eighteenth century, the Necks remained as the only common lands retained by the Commoners.
Little Neck-Featured image: “Wolf Moon” over Little Neck, January 1, 2018. Photo by Susan Turner Po In 1639, two wealthy brothers William and Robert Paine (aka Payne) procured a grant of land in the town of Ipswich from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. In about 1649 Robert offered to “erect […]
A photographic history of the Ipswich Mills Dam-Until 350 years ago, the Ipswich River ran unencumbered from its origin 35 miles upstream, carving its way through a 148-square-mile watershed. Herring, shad, salmon and alewife swam upstream to spawn. Thomas Franklin Waters noted that, “Great shoals of alewives came up the river in the Spring and were seined […]
A photographic and chronological history of the Ipswich Schools-In 1652, the Town of Ipswich voted "For the better aiding of the school and the affairs thereof," money toward the building a Grammar school and paying the school master, By the 19th Century there were at 10 grammar schools spread throughout the town in addition to the high school.
Photos from the Great Snow of 2015-Images from the blizzard, January 27, 2015 and the series of snowstorms that followed. Many photos are from the I Love Ipswich Facebook group. Featured image: The road into Crane Beach, by Diane Young. Click on any photo to start the slideshow. Click on the small X in the upper […]
Along the Old Bay Road-In November 1639, the General Court in Boston ordered that the first official road be laid out from Boston to Portsmouth. Bay Road was to be constructed by each town along the way and milestones carved in stone were installed to indicate distances. Some (but not all) of […]
Postcards from Ipswich-Click on any image to begin the slideshow. To leave the slideshow and return to Stories from Ipswich hit the Esc button or click on the X in the top corner Postcards from Salem Postcards from Newburyport
Postcards from Newburyport-(Click on any image to begin a slideshow. Press the X in the top left corner or the Esc button to leave the slide show).
Postcards from Salem-Click on any image to begin the slideshow. To leave the slideshow and return to Stories from Ipswich hit the Esc button or click on the X in the top left corner.