The Sadie B. Stockwell house at 7 East Street in Ipswich was built in 1888. The Heirs of Samuel Hunt sold the building lot to Mrs. Sadie B. Stockwell on April 27, 1888 (577:129) and she built the house on the lot in the same year. In the 1910 Ipswich map, the house belongs to F. H. Stockwell. The 1896 Ipswich Business directory identifies him as Frank H. Stockwell, dentist, retired.
Thomas Franklin Waters wrote that this lot was owned by the Rev. John Norton, pastor of the church in Ipswich from 1636-52, in his book, “Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony” Volume 1:
- “Mr. Norton purchased Mr. Fawn’s house on East Street, on the site of the Foster Russell house.”
- Samuel Hunt purchased the ancient Day-Dodge house at the corner of North Main and East Streets on Feb. 14, 1849 (408: 16).
- “The heirs of Mr. Hunt sold also a building lot to Mrs. Sadie B. Stockwell, upon which the dwelling was built, April 27, 1888 (1220: 73)”
The Queen Anne style is unusual on colonial East Street and the Stoolcwell house is a particularly fine example. Key elements include prominent barackets with a sunburst motif, lattice-work in the proch gable and a barge board with applied decoration. An asymmetrical configuration and a variety of shingle patterns- including staggered butt and canted hexagonal are other outstanding Queen Anne features. It is an excellent example of how Victorian homes in Ipswich feature a combination of “Shingle Style,” Queen Anne and “Stick” styles of Victorian architecture. Such houses are typically asymmetrical with roof sections of different pitch, turrets and bays with a minimum of trim, and shingles wrapping the house. The bold colors are a Queen Ann influence Ornamental corbels (brackets) provide support for the steep overhangs.
- Ipswich Business Directory, 1888
- Thomas Franklin Waters, “Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony” Volume 1, page 415
- 1910 Ipswich map