Samuel Dutch bought this land in 1723 and built this house by 1733. The main (front) portion of the house facing the street appears to have been modified and enlarged with a third floor and a hip roof during in the early 19th Century. The rear wing has a chamfered summer beam, suggesting that it was an older house already on the lot, was moved to this location, or that framing from an older house was used in the addition.
Early 18th century details include the front staircase, and some doors, paneling, and bolection molding on the second floor. Early 19th century material includes detailing on the third floor, mantels and paneling elsewhere in the house.
Samuel Dutch was a mariner, and later owned a sawmill near his house.
This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission. Protected elements include:
- Front and side facades, including front entry
- Mantlepieces and moldings surrounding the fireplaces in the front rooms of the first and second floors, and paneling over the fireplace in the second floor front northwest corner room
- The long summer beam on the first floor of the rear addition