Joseph Newman built the house at 9 High Street in 1762. It was later owned by Samuel Newman.
The present form of this house is composed of at least 3 structures, and the attic tells the story. It started out as a colonial home with a center chimney and center entrance. When the present owner purchased the home in 1985 it had become a tenement and was suffering from years of neglect. The previous owners had begun efforts at restoration. The exterior renovations were largely completed in 1993. The landscaping was done on 2005-6, designed and installed by Dianna Pacella.
As with several houses on High Street it once had a brick cistern in the yard, used for fighting fires by the early hand-pump “fire trucks.”
Samuel Newman was born in Ipswich in 1809, a son of William and Hannah Newman. After leaving college, Mr. Newman was for several years the town clerk of Ipswich and authored the book, “Reminiscences of Ipswich.” Newman had a mercantile business in a brick building on Central Street, selling West Indian goods, broadcloth, crockery, glass and confections. In 1843, he moved to Peabody and became associated with the firm of Dane, Dole & Company, who operated a grocery and general variety store. Newman was very involved in the Essex Agricultural Society.