The small two story three bay colonial at 37 East Street was built in 1834 by Stephen Baker Jr. as a storehouse for his grocery. The lot was also used a lumber yard and Baker opened a way to the river, constructing a wharf at the end of the lane.

The Account book kept by Stephen Baker from 1842 – 1911, farmer and grocer of Ipswich includes names of customers, descriptions of items, and prices. Enclosures include notes and correspondence of George V. Millett. It is available as MSS 1018.1 in the Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

Stephen Baker House, 37 East Street, Ipswich MA