This well-preserved gambrel was constructed in the mid-18th Century by John Dennis, grandson of Thomas Dennis the joiner. The house was later owned by Captain Ignatius Dodge, and is commonly called the Dennis-Dodge house.
This house was originally on Summer St. and was moved to this location in the 19th Century.
The rear ell of this house is believed to date to about 1660. and was purchased by famous jointer Thomas Dennis. The 1685 deed for an abutting lot refers to the "new dwelling house" of Thomas Dennis.
Benjamin Grant married Anne Perkins in 1722, and they built the house at 47 County St. in 1735. The home was restored in the early 1980s, and was added to the Natinal Register of Historic Places.