Francis Merrifield, Jr. bought this corner lot from his father in 1792 (155: 108), and built the gambrel cottage which stands on the bank above the road. Mary Wade, Jr., daughter of Col. Nathaniel Wade of Revolutionary War fame, bought the property at public auction in 1826 and received he deed in 1827 (251:83). She bequeathed her estate to her nephew, Francis H. Wade. The house remained in the Wade family well into the 20th Century.
The original part of the house had four rooms with wide pine floors resting on bloor beams made from entire tree trunks, which have been replaced. There were four fireplaces sitting on a stone foundation. Each of the front rooms has exposed corner posts. Mary Wade’s nephew Francis H. Wade, enlarged the kitchen and added a “summer kitchen.”
The front of the house retains the original two rooms over 2 rooms floor plan. At the rear is a small ell (with a cooking fireplace) that was added in two stages to enlarge the original house.