The Platts-Bradstreet House, Rowley

Platts-Bradbury house Rowley MAThe 1677 Platts-Bradstreet House is located on Rt.1A, 233 Main St. in Rowley, maintained, operated and home to the Rowley Historical Society. Built in 1677, the house faces south, has nine over six windows with Indian shutters and a large center chimney. The oldest portion of the house, a full-width two-story structure with a depth of one room, was probably built in 1677 by Samuel Platts, who purchased the land in 1660 and was charged with tax on a house in that year.

Early in the 18th century this structure was enlarged by adding a leanto section, which would have given the house a classic New England saltbox appearance. In the late 1760s Moses Bradstreet raised the leanto section to a full two stories, giving the main block its present form. The interior styling of the house also appears to date to this time period. The house is one of six known 17th century houses in Rowley. The Rowley Historical Society reconstructed a 1775 post and beam barn on the property bought from Derry, New Hampshire.

The town of Rowley was settled in the spring of 1639 during the session of the General Court in Boston, named “Mr. Ezechi Roger’s Plantation.” Rev. Ezekiel Rogers, 24th Pastor of St. Peter’s Church, Rowley, Yorkshire, England, organized a company of twenty families from Rowley and nearby towns and sailed on “John of London”. They arrived in Salem, Massachusetts in the fall of 1638.

Links: