The oldest part of the White Horse Inn at 34 High Street is recorded to have been built in 1659 on the land of Philip Call. Around 1800 the early central chimney house was altered by removal of the chimney and its replacement with two side chimneys, mounted on the ridge. Other alterations were made around 1840, including installation of the frontispiece. Little is visible of the original house, but the dimensions of rooms and cased framing in rear rooms, suggest the possibility of an early structure being incorporated into this much later house. (Information from MACRIS listing).
Thomas Franklin Waters recorded that “The White Horse Inn was the object of much contention Corporal John Andrews offended the sensibilities of his neighbors by keeping open doors or open bar until past nine o’clock, encouraging young men in devious ways. A petition of protest against the renewal of the liquor license was presented to the Court
“Corporal John Andrews was for several misdemeanors complained of to this Court for selling wine by retail without license upon pretense of selling by the gallon and three gallons, and yet drawing it by the pint and quarte, and for entertaining Townsmen at unseasonable tymes, as after nine of the clock.”
The Court in Salem in June, 1658 determined that it “thought meet to license Corporal Andrews to keepe an ordinary for the entertainment of strangers only till the next Court at Ipswich, and not longer, provided that the Inhabitants do at the said Court present some meet person to keepe an ordinary that the Court shall approve off.” Deacon Moses Pengry, who had signed the complaint against Andrews, was instructed to prepare himself to open an ordinary.
Andrews was so angry about the verdict that he went on a rage and tore down the door of the home of chief marshall Edward Brown, the gate at Lt. Samuel Appleton’s yard, and Moses Pengry’s sign. He sold the inn and moved back to his house in Chebacco (Essex) where he was continually hauled into court for running up debts.