At the corner of Mile lane and Rt. 1, where the Clam Box now stands, Nehemiah Jewett Jr. owned ten acres of land. He married Sally Jewett of Ipswich on October 22, 1795, and built a dwelling on the lot and occupied it with his family until his death. Jewett’s heirs sold a house and acreage to William B. Spiller in December, 1838. It is assumed he built the present house soon after.
Architectural features including the doorway suggest Greek Revival origins rather than the preceding Federal period. The house is listed with the Massachusetts Historical Commission as having been built in 1860 and the Ipswich database shows 1850. Mrs. Mabel V. Mitchell, wife of William A. Mitchell, inherited a portion of this property from her grandfather Spiller.
The history of the site is given by Waters in “Ipswich Village and the Old Rowley Road “:
“Nehemiah Jewett conveyed to his son, Nehemiah, Jr. a single acre on the corner, February 3, 1800 (189:279) and after his death, his administrator sold to Nehemiah, Jr. about nine acres more on the County road, May 7, 1816 (209:153). Nehemiah Jewett Jr. had married Sally Jewett, October 22, 1795. He built a dwelling on the lot and occupied it with his family until his death.
Jewett’s heirs, Nehemiah and Moses, 3d., laborers, sold their half of the house and 10 acres to William B. Spiller, December 12: 1838 (321:151) and the guardian of minor sons, Thomas L. and Asa H., conveyed the other half on the same date (321:152). Mrs. Mabel V. Mitchell, wife of William A. Mitchell, inherited a portion of this property from her grandfather Spiller, and bought the interest of his daughter, Lavinia D., wife of Luther C. Pickard, Nov. 10, 1891 (1330:202).”
- Waters, Thomas Franklin. “Ipswich Village and the Old Rowley Road.” Publications of the Ipswich Historical Society. Volume XIX. Ipswich: Ipswich Historical Society, 1914
- Vital Records of Ipswich, Massachusetts: Marriages and deaths